News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 Cadillac theshold plates

Started by cadillac ken, November 11, 2020, 06:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac ken

Just purchased a set of these from Caddy Daddy.  They are listed as correct for the 1937 CADILLAC Series 60 coupe-- and the fit is fine.

But was wondering if these are correct.  I've seen these in 1937 La Salles.  Are they the same for the '37 Cadillac?

Jim Stamper

It looks just like what is on my 37-60 coupe.      Jim Stamper CLC#13470

cadillac ken

carlhungness

cadillac ken

Quote from: carlhungness on November 12, 2020, 09:40:56 AM
How much did they cost, very nice.

Not for the faint of heart!  LOL-- $545.00 Plus shipping.

The detail is great but they put a series of shrinks (that left a mark every 6" or so) in the top edge to pull the contour needed for the floor of the car.  They are not drilled or countersunk for screws so that's on the buyer. You can see in the first photo what appears to be the "gather" at the shrink points.

Like I said, nice detail but should have been finished better with proper screw holes drilled.  I will have to fabricate a cover piece for the top of the carpet edge with the shrink marks to cover them. Very unsightly.

But I tend to be more forgiving of such things and thankful that these are even available-- even at almost $600 to my door.  As you know I could probably fabricate a nice set that would do the job but they would not have that wonderful imprinted design on them.

harvey b

The carpet just lays over the lip where the screws go,that edge is covered,the carpet should have big button snaps to hold it in,it does not glue to the floor?the edge of the carpet has a binding sewn to it so it looks finished,hard to explain without pictures,at least thats how it fits in my 37. There are only 4 or 6 snaps holding it in on mine,kind of wonky but it does work.Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

cadillac ken

Quote from: harvey b on November 14, 2020, 06:58:14 AM
The carpet just lays over the lip where the screws go,that edge is covered,the carpet should have big button snaps to hold it in,it does not glue to the floor?the edge of the carpet has a binding sewn to it so it looks finished,hard to explain without pictures,at least thats how it fits in my 37. There are only 4 or 6 snaps holding it in on mine,kind of wonky but it does work.Harveyb

Holy Moely.  My car was quite the basket case when I bought it.  So none of what you describe was in my car. And no traces of any snaps.  But you describe it very well in that I get the picture in my mind of what Cadillac intended.  So I guess I retract my criticisms of the newly reproduced sills I bought.  When installed as factory I can see that they would be just fine-- although these still have no screw holes to hold them in place when installed.  Not a big deal as my carpet is not original and neither is my car so I can make these look perfectly at home!

Thanks so much for the info.  Always love to have any knowledge of the what and hows of my car.

Regards, Ken

carlhungness

Just beautiful and the price is probably spot on, how  many are they going to sell. Mine are in good enough shape to re-use, thankfully.

Tom Beaver

Ken, the snaps in the carpeting are called carpet sockets.  They are a rather odd large diameter sheet metal button which attaches to the bottom side of the carpeting using a series of teeth formed around their perimeter which are pushed through the carpeting and then folded over to make the attachment.  They have a formed flexible knob in the middle that then snaps through a 1/4 inch hole drilled in the floorboards which secures the carpet in place.  If you examine the floorboards in your car you will see where they go. They were about the only surviving remnants of the carpeting in my car and I got replacements for them from Restoration Specalties in Windber PA.

Tom Beaver