News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Cadlillac Series 63 ignition switch

Started by J. Russo, November 16, 2020, 06:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

Please see attached photo. Does anyone know who repairs ignition switches? This one works, but I would like to get the wire leading into the switch replaced as it is exposed. I know I can tape it, but I'm going to rewire the entire car and and want this part 100%.

Thanks
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

wheikkila

Hi John
I have a 40 LaSalle and I could not find anyone to rebuild my switch. So, I replaced the wire myself. There are three tabs on the front of the switch you bend over. This allows you to pull the front half of the switch. The bottom half is held in by the three crimped areas on the side. These are very hard to push out. So, I used a die grinder to lightly grind them so I could push the lock out. I did not cut through the lock area. After pushing the three lock areas out the bottom half of the switch pulled out. Then it is just a mater of unsoldering the old wire and solder in the new wire. Then you reassemble the switch in reverse of taking it apart. Be sure to take lots of photos. Better safe then sorry. I did the whole job in about two hours.       
Thanks Wayne

Jeff Hansen

John,

Contact CLC member Marty Watkins in the Philadelphia suburb of Langhorn, PA.  His contact information is in your club directory.  Marty has been rewiring these switches for years.

You switch is missing the metal conduit that runs from the back of the switch to the cup that attaches to the base of the coil.  I don't know if Marty can supply you with new conduit, but it never hurts to ask.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

harry s

Here's a picture of the set up albeit a little rough.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

J. Russo

Harry, Is the ignition setup in your photo for a 6 volt system? Mine was converted to 12 volt by a previous owner.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

harry s

John, That's an original ignition and coil set up (6V). In looking at your picture you can see where the metal conduit was cut at the back of the switch. I think the idea of the conduit was period theft prevention. As Jeff mentioned Marty Watkins can replace the wire in your switch. If you want authenticity you can replace the cable and coil cap or just go with the new wire to the coil.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Chris Cummings

Harry is correct.  The conduit was an attempt at preventing someone from "hot-wiring" the car. 

Good luck with your car,

Chris

J. Russo

Thanks all. I'm learning something new every day with this car. I've reached out to Marty. Hopefully he can help.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828