News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 Deville Convertible - Carburetor Fuel Inlet

Started by sturner50502, November 17, 2020, 10:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sturner50502

Hello Experts,

Can anyone provide me with a recommendation on how to repair the fuel inlet which has been stripped out?

Some of you may remember several months ago when you helped me by walking me through and advising on rebuilding my Rochester Quadrajet, on this very forum. I remember being warned to be careful with the fuel inlet line as it could easily strip. Well I thought I was careful as I gently, by hand, screwed in the fuel inlet fitting.

Soon after I rebuilt the carb I tried starting the engine. It would not stay running. I checked the fuel pump and learned I needed a new fuel pump (this car was sitting for very long time when I purchased it). So, I finally got around to getting a new fuel pump. Before reconnecting the steel line to the carb I tested the new pump and saw I was getting fuel. I screwed in steel fuel line and saw the fuel inlet fitting was loose. Come to find out, it was stripped. I was completely surprised as I know I was very careful when I replaced the inlet fiitting.

So now, I need to repair the stripped threads. Can anyone give me their advice on the best way to handle this problem. Anyone have this problem before?
Steve Turner
1969 De Ville Convertible
1989 Brougham d'Elegance

cadillacmike68

You can get an oversized fitting, or some type of helicoid repair. I'd go with the oversize fitting.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

The repair fittings work fine but don't always play nice with the hard steel lines.   Some of them are a little longer or shorter than the originals.   What I have done for multiple reasons on several cars is cut the hard line somewhere sometimes out of sight to give it a little more flexibility. 

https://quadrajetparts.com/quadrajet-inlet-fittings-c-128_27.html
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have repaired these threads with Helicoils, but haven't done it for many years.
https://quadrajetpower.com/heli-coil-thread-repair-of-fuel-inlet/

The cheapest part is buying the actual coils.   The dear part is the rest of the kit, the drill, Tap and the inserter.

Whenever I have to use them, Helicoils that is, I buy the set for that size, and then I have them for a lifetime.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Matti R

I have used Loctite as temporary solution. Been too lazy to remove the carb for fixing the threads, but this need to be done soon.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

You could also use JB Weld, or Araldite to fix it, but that would make removing the fitting for filter replacement a tad difficult.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

fishnjim

I think you're just going to have trouble with any "fix", and I would seek a good spare body.  At most a $50 bill.  Will spend more buying the heli-thread tool.   Cast aluminum that's ate up, isn't going to be very strong.   Not a very good picture but it looks like there's a "T" fitting on that end, and maybe you can come in from the other side, but still have the issue of sealing the stripped hole.
Unless a machine shop or someone could weld in some good metal and rethread, it's probably going to leak eventually or crac in repair.   Got to be million or so rochesters out there to find a usable body.

TJ Hopland

The repair fittings work fine as long as you select the best one for your damage and install it correctly.  Another key is to not mess with them again which often means the inline filter which also reduces the stresses because you no longer have that solid hard line.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadman56

Daytona Carbs makes the correct repair parts.  I have used them and they work well.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

cadillacmike68

QuadraJet parts and QuadraJet power were the two web sites that I was thinking of, I just couldn't remember them.

You are better off doing it "right" instead of jbweld or loctite solutions.

Yes there were millions of QuadraJets made, but not all had the Cadillac side fitting, and No there is no T fitting there. That entire area is a very tight fit because of the massive A6 AC compressor that sits right above and in front of everything.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

sturner50502

Thanks everyone for your input. I was able to get it fixed.

The repair that worked for me was an extended fuel inlet. This is different than an oversized. The extended inlet has more threads than the original. This allows the extended inlet to go deeper into the housing and utilize the threads that have not been used.

An oversized inlet would have cut new threads into the housing as it gets screwed in.

I opted for the extended as I figured it would be less damaging to the housing if it did not work.

I provided my solution and the explanation for those forum members who may not have experienced this problem in the past. It is clear to me that most of you who already responded, has experience with this issue. But this was a first for me!

Thanks everyone.

P.S. After installing, the engine started almost immediately...after a few pumps of the accelerator. This was exciting for me as I bought this car three years ago and this was the first time I was able to hear the engine idle (lifter tapping slightly). And now, on to the brakes!
Steve Turner
1989 Brougham d'Elegance

sturner50502

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on November 19, 2020, 02:03:45 AM
QuadraJet parts and QuadraJet power were the two web sites that I was thinking of, I just couldn't remember them.

You are better off doing it "right" instead of jbweld or loctite solutions.

Yes there were millions of QuadraJets made, but not all had the Cadillac side fitting, and No there is no T fitting there. That entire area is a very tight fit because of the massive A6 AC compressor that sits right above and in front of everything.

I agree Mike. I did it right... No JBWeld or Loctite used. I got an extended inlet that worked perfectly.
Steve Turner
1989 Brougham d'Elegance