News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need Help Identifying Suspension Part & Idler Arm Advice '37 LaSalle

Started by carlhungness, November 21, 2020, 04:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I have a front suspension part that appears to have the number 376315 on it, although the first 3 is obscured, and don't know where it fits. Cannot find it in my Master Chassis Parts book.
     Next, my idler arm, part 1.0460 had a center bolt that stripped as I was removing it. I successfully drilled the bolt without harm to anything surrounding it and when the arm came out it was accompanied by two ultra thin spacers, each a few thousandths thick. I reinstalled a new longer bolt and went to the trouble of putting a heli-coil in the hole the original bolt was threaded into as I wanted to eliminate any slop at all. Then I put the plot back together and topped off the new 1/2" bolt with an elastic stop nut.
      I am getting just a bit of up and down wiggle out of the arm now and although not severe, I think it could be a bit tighter.  I could possibly take the bolt out, hoping the heli-coil doesn't unwind itself, and try to make another thin spacer. Since the arm moves only side-ways I am reluctant to remove the whole assembly again as it was a chore to install the heli-coil (which I may not really need, but like, even though it serves no purpose other than to eliminate any sideways slop the half inch bolt may have). Looking for suggestions on both.
   Here we see the suspension part and the idler arm with the stripped bolt and
spotting drill and pilot drill I used to try and drill through the center. The spotting drill, the small one was all that is necessary as the  other one shown actually has a different point angle. The spotting drill is perfect for starting a small hole precisely where you want it. The two spacers are also shown and wonder if I need more.

Tom Beaver

Carl, I think there is a thin floating brass bushing that fits between the bolt and the bore in the intermediate steering arm.  It's been a long time since I had mine apart and I can't find the listing in my Master Chassis Parts book to verify that.  But if it is missing, there will be slop in the intermediate steering arm.  Somebody else in the club may have an earlier Master Chassis Parts book that will give that information.

Tom Beaver

harvey b

ther should be a brass sleeve in the bore where the bolt goes through,it will have a hole in it to line up with the grease nipple,i do see them on ebay from time to time.It will need to be pressed out and pressed back in,possible it is in there and you didnt know? Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

carlhungness

The bushing is still in my idler arm and there is no slop in it..the slop is up an down, not sideways.