News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Thousands of tiny pits in windshield

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, November 23, 2020, 06:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    I have noticed when driving my 1970 Cadillac the windshield  is very clear until the sun starts to go down and it’s shining through the windshield I notice Thousands of very tiny specks that are distributed very evenly throughout the windshield . These specks are really small measuring about .010 to .020 thousand of an inch or 1/64 . I am pretty sure this is the original windshield . I find it hard to believe that this is the result of small stones  because of the even distribution . I have a picture of the label on the glass itself . Is there a logical reason for this .

Thanks,
           Bill

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Clewisiii

It is little stones.  Basically your windshield has been sandblasted over time.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    If that was the case why is the bright work the stainless steel trim around the windshield  in perfect shape  . Glass  is much harder then Stainless steel . And you would think the paint would be damaged as well .  This is not a high mileage car.

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

Definitely a form of sandblasting.

And, when you get the glass replaced, you will be flabbergasted as to just how bad the original one got over the years.

When I had to replace a screen in one of my cars, I couldn't believe the difference, as it looked like I was looking through a large hole in the screen, that is a car with no windscreen in the opening, but without the wind in my face.

If you look closely at the painted surfaces with a microscope, you will see imperfections there as well, but as the paint is softer than the glass, the grit might simply bounce off.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

walt chomosh #23510

Bill,
   Don't know how much the pits are bothering you but I have polished glass in the past and it's something you could consider. My thoughts are to consider locating a professional polisher (any chrome shop) in your area and have him look at the damage....or...study the art and do the work yourself....walt...tulsa,ok

Bill Balkie 24172

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on November 23, 2020, 07:49:28 PM
Definitely a form of sandblasting.

And, when you get the glass replaced, you will be flabbergasted as to just how bad the original one got over the years.

When I had to replace a screen in one of my cars, I couldn't believe the difference, as it looked like I was looking through a large hole in the screen, that is a car with no windscreen in the opening, but without the wind in my face.

If you look closely at the painted surfaces with a microscope, you will see imperfections there as well, but as the paint is softer than the glass, the grit might simply bounce off.

Hello Bruce ,
       If this car was my daily driver I would certainly get it repaired . The thoughts of someone removing the trim and fooling around with antenna   Does not give me a good feeling . If I did decide to get it replaced how is the aftermarket quality ? I think I need to take a trip down to the auto glass shop and start asking some questions . I hate to remove the original windshield . Somebody really has to convince me that it is worth it.
      Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Quote from: Clewisiii on November 23, 2020, 06:31:17 PM
It is little stones.  Basically your windshield has been sandblasted over time.
Thank you Charles for your input .
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Quote from: walt chomosh #23510 on November 23, 2020, 08:15:42 PM
Bill,
   Don't know how much the pits are bothering you but I have polished glass in the past and it's something you could consider. My thoughts are to consider locating a professional polisher (any chrome shop) in your area and have him look at the damage....or...study the art and do the work yourself....walt...tulsa,ok
[/quote
     Thanks Walt ,
              It seems like a lot of work. I can see polishing a few specks out but not the whole windshield . Plus it has a large chip that safe flight repaired at one time . If it was a perfect windshield that would be a different story .
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

INTMD8

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on November 23, 2020, 07:19:24 PM

If that was the case why is the bright work the stainless steel trim around the windshield  in perfect shape  . Glass  is much harder then Stainless steel .

You answered your own question in a way. The glass being harder is more likely to chip.  Also consider the thickness. Stainless trim takes a pebble hit it can flex a bit due to being thin. Glass is thick/hard enough that it will more likely chip than flex.

Don't bother trying to polish it. If you went deep enough to take out chips you would probably distort it.

In my opinion, razor blade then steel wool then clay bar the original windshield.   If it still bothers you the best thing you could do is replace it. (though I would not)

Cadman-iac

Bill,
Part of the problem with the newer replacement glass is that it's not as hard as the original one is. I have 2 older Suburbans and I had the windshield in one replaced after it was struck by a rock. It didn't last a month before it got a chip and it started to run. Right down the middle. I found out later that it was a cheap POS from China.
The other Suburban still has the original windshield in it,  and it's been hit multiple times. The chips in it don't run, even the ones in the middle of the glass.
If you are in an area where you have lots of loose debris on the road, you might want to check where the replacement glass is made before you agree to have it replaced. I guarantee that you won't like the Chinese crap.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

The Tassie Devil(le)

I consider myself lucky in that I haven't had a windscreen replaced in 4 years, and the replacements have never given me any trouble, but having said that, if I had to replace one now, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it.

There is nothing worse than looking through a pitted screen, in the sunlight, rain, or at night when glare is around.

If a chip happens to the replacement screen, then it is going to happen, but in the case of not replacing it, it is just another chip to add to the thousands that are already there.

I consider it a safety issue.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillac ken

I'm in camp of years of use and sand and debris striking the windshield.  I've seen this a lot.  Polishing the entire windshield is probably not the answer. That's a lot of area!  Plus a trusted glass guy once told me if you can feel a scratch with you running your fingernail over it you will not be able to polish it out FWIW.

D.Smith

It's from sand, not stones.   I had a 1980 Sedan deVille with the same problem when it was only 6 years old.    But it had 85,000 miles of highway use commuting and when the setting sun hit that front windshield it was really noticeable.   I had a local glass company come out and replace the windshield in 1987.   Once done it was like driving a new car again!  Don't waste anymore time just get it replaced.       

And don't think that you can't get new ones anymore.   Four years ago when a rock hit the front windshield of my 61 Cadillac and put a nasty star in it, my local Safelite Glass company got me a new one.     

spolij

If the pits are so uniform and only show at sundown I would go to a big name glass co. like safelite and get their opinion. Wind shield glass can delaminate.

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bill,

I’d had the same problem with my ’66 Eldorado. Driving into a low sun, I was completely blind, even though at different angles it was fine. I used a local glass shop and they were able to get the correct color and tint for me. I did not have the date appropriate markings etched on it because I’d have to get it to and from  another shop and wait at least a day. I checked out the installer, who had gray hair and knew exactly what the car was and how to do the job.   It was installed flawlessly in a few hours, with no marks or even finger prints left for something like $300.

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Fellas,
     When replacing a windshield in a 70 Cadillac  ( antenna in windshield ) do you have to  remove  the dash top  to attach the anteenna  wire to the radio ?

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Cadillac Fleetwood

The dash top does NOT have to come off.  The antenna connection is serviced at the cowl, from outside the car.  The compound that is used to polish windshield glass is cerium oxide. You might want to consult a glass professional to see if polishing is a viable option.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Bill Balkie 24172

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

fishnjim

I'd think it more common the longer the vehicle has survived, this is a 50 year old car.   
Chrome/stainless trim gets polished periodically, where the glass does not.   
Several probable causes.
The windshield wipers usually eventually leave a scour pattern.  Particles embed in the rubber blades and get rubbed back and forth, much like water sanding, and eventually leave scratches.   Even bugs can have hard shells and impact at 50-60 mph, that's quite a force. 
It could also be accumulated water scale/spots or some other spray mist.   Mothers makes a glass cleaner for this, but it doesn't work real good with applicator, but if you use 0000 steel wool to apply it works great.   I use it a lot.  Dark tinted windows and mirrored show spots the worse.
If it's truly scratched and causing a problem, then polish or replace.   Doesn't sound that bad, if only noticable under certain conditions.