News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 Cadillac Coupe exterior door handle removal help needed

Started by jaybobc, November 25, 2020, 02:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybobc

Hello group! As the title of this article suggests, I’m working on a 1951 Cadillac coupe and I can’t get the exterior door handle off.  The manual mentions removing a screw that attaches the spring plate to the pillar face, but I see no such screw. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jaybobc

Dave Ventresca

just insert a screwdriver in the tab that is in your pic. it slides out. maybe spray wd 40. rust may be in there. Dave

Quentin Hall

The outside door handle has a 2 inch slider strip attaching to the inner of the doorskin (that tab thing at the lower middle of your pic) that needs to be pulled out half an inch or so. It has a key way to locate the barrel and the handle that goes thru the door. It’s always a bit sticky like Dave mentioned. I use a flat wide blade chisel and a rag against the paintwork and jiggle/pry it free. Sometimes they can be stuck hard and need overnight soaking in lubricant. I have several 53 doors apart in my workshop so if you haven’t had success by then I’ll post better pics to show exactly how.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

Here you go. This is the slider I’m referring to.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz