News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

weather stripping

Started by spolij, December 01, 2020, 08:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spolij

The trunk lid has a rubber weather strip i need to replace. Is there a solvent specifically to remove the glue?

BlackCads

What year is your car?
Often original trunk weatherstripping was just installed into a channel around the perimeter of the trunk. It should just pull out.
If you have to use a solvent, test it on the paint first. Many solvents will remove paint as well as glue.

spolij

66 deville The new strip has a lip on one side and does not stay in it came with glue. Now it needs replacement, new one destroyed by my grand daughter, lol but i need to get the old glue off.
I wonder if heat will do it.

savemy67

Hello John,

If I recall, you have not painted your car, so I will assume you are not concerned about the existing paint.  If you have the original glue container/packaging, you may be able to determine what solvent to use.  If the container is long gone, but you remember where you got the weatherstripping, call the vendor and ask them what to use.

Heat might soften the glue residue, but you may still need to use a solvent for complete removal.  Should I understand that you are going to paint only the outsides of the body panels?  No jambs, sills, undersides?  Usually, the groove where the trunk weatherstripping goes is painted before the application of the weatherstripping.  What coating do you plan to put in place before glueing the weatherstripping?

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

spolij

Christopher I'm repainting all painted surfaces. I may still have that glue good thought. The channel for the strip will be painted same as the rest. I lost my old restoration post so i have to stat a new one! lol

carlhungness

Naptha will remove many adhesives.

spolij

BlackCads

If you're not concerned about paint removal nail polish remover (acetone) is also a very useful + versatile solvent.
On another note I have replaced the trunk weatherstripping on 3 cars -- 63 convertible and my 2 65s.
Sadly after replacing the weatherstripping I found that the trunk was not completely watertight.
My solution was to apply a thin bead of clear silicone around the perimeter of the trunk seal. That solved the problem. My trunks stay dry even after a heavy rainstorm (think GN 2014 Lake George).

dn010

3M makes adhesive remover/adhesive cleaner. Should be available at any parts store.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

spolij

Nothing worked but Acetone. Flooded a horizontal channel over night. Turned every thing to liquid.
Now i have to figure out how to do the verticale surfaces.Need some thing to block the channel that acetone won't hurt but it still come out easy.
Thanks Blackcad
Thank you all.

Edit I pulled apart some cotton balls, a lot of cotton balls, stuck them in the channel and saturated them with acetone. Two hours later the glue was looser. I'll leave it over night.

Rossoroo

See if you can get you hands on some old kerosene lamp wick or something similar. Wood stove door gasket might also work. These may be wide enough to stay in the weather-strip track while keeping the glue moistened.
49-6269 My First Caddy