News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'93 Allante Advice Requested

Started by Jmgummerson, December 01, 2020, 01:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmgummerson

I am just starting to research / shop for an Allante.  From what I've already read, I can tell the '93 is the model for me with the added power of the Northstar.  I would appreciate any advice on what to look for in purchasing one of these?

Ideally, I would like to get into a low-mileage turn-key car.  What would anyone with experience here consider "low-mileage"?  And what kind of price range would you say I should be expecting?

Finally, I'm 6 ft. tall and not a small guy.  Obviously I will sit in one of these before pulling any triggers, but how would you rate the roominess of the driver's seat?

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

James Landi

You may not fit in---- the seat goes back just so far, and I had a friend and colleague who could not get in mine.   The 1990-91, models that have the bullet proof engines are likely less of an issue when compared with the problematic early Northstars, and they, unlike the early models, have air bags.   Make sure that the master braking system has been replaced--- they are subject to failure.  Make sure EVERYTHING works--- the electronic display monitors dozens of systems, so you'll likely know if there's a potential major issue. The speed sensitive shocks are amazing until they wear out... problems finding replacements.  Make sure the Bose radio/ CD player works well--- there are four separate "amplifier/speakers" that are subject to failure.  Make sure that there are no rips or "deep pinches" in the top, and make sure you carefully observe the proper procedure for the top operation. This little roadster is pure joy when it's in good condition... I think anything under 50K miles could be a likely candidate.   I almost bought another one following ownership of my '91, but then I test drove an XLR, and I never looked for an Allante.  James 

e.kempton

The 1993 Allante is a great car.  I do not think you will have a problem because you are 6' tall. I am a little taller then that and car fits just fine for me.  The good thing about the 1993's is the GM braking system and the more powerful engine.  As long as the car has been cared for you shouldn't have any major problems.  Buy a car that has records of what had been done to it over the years.  As for a "turn key" car I don't think there is any such thing in a Allante.  It seems that there is always going to be some little thing that comes up.  In a way it is fun to solve the problems that crop up.  The Allante has a great club of super people who can help with most anything that comes up.  There is even a guy who makes house calls to repair most anything that might come up.  As for low mileage Allante's ,  I would be a little afraid of them, as they are not proven cars and could have all sorts of problems because of lack of use.  I wouldn't be afraid of a car that has 60 to 90k miles on it as long as it has been taken care of and doesn't need anything that is costly.  The things to look for when looking at a 1993 are things like oil leaks and coolant leaks, check all radio functions, power windows, and the top pull down.  Make sure you study just how the top works, this is very important, there are videos on line that show you the hows and whys of the top.  I would suggest that you go and look at as many Allantes as you can in your area and drive them to see if it is what you really want.  The 1991 and 1992's I think have the nicest seats and a good engine but they have that poor brake system that is very costly to repair.  If you have any questions about Allantes, just let me know and I will try to help you. 

76eldo

I have owned a 92, a 91, parted out 2 87's, and had a 12,000 mile 93 about 10 years ago that I sold when I was buying my 1960 convertible.
2 years ago I bought a 33,000 mile one owner 93, Pearl White with a Red interior with factory chrome wheels and the factory correct hardtop.

A low mileage one owner is the best way to go.  Be prepared to spend at least $15,000 for an excellent car.  There are Allante experts in South Jersey and Florida, and also in Southern California that you can get parts and advice from.

Weak spots are the front and rear convertible top pull downs, power antennas, and sometimes the VATS sensor in the ignition switch fails and needs to be bypassed.

Good luck with the hunt.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dave Shepherd

No matter what year these are tough cars to own, many expensive  repairs can pop up. I worked for Cadillac in those days and we were facing a lot of unhappy owners.

gkhashem

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)