News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 power window motor - how hard to remove?

Started by Hillbillycat, December 02, 2020, 03:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillbillycat

How hard is it to remove the power windows on my 1956 Sedan Deville? I had read something about the counterspring being a risk for injury/damage.

Door panels and duct covers are off already for rust prevention of doors.

Window regulators, springs, all hinges and rails are freshly lubed as best as possible without taking this stuff out of the doors.

Windows zip up and down way faster then before. Chesterton 651 E poured heavily on the spring did the trick here.
BUT the drivers side is still dragging. You can feel the  motor´s having hard to work to get the window up. The motor´s end gets warm after about 20 fast cycles, so I´m assuming this one´s in need for cleaning.

J. Gomez

Quote from: Hillbillycat on December 02, 2020, 03:38:36 PM
How hard is it to remove the power windows on my 1956 Sedan Deville? I had read something about the counterspring being a risk for injury/damage.

Door panels and duct covers are off already for rust prevention of doors.

Window regulators, springs, all hinges and rails are freshly lubed as best as possible without taking this stuff out of the doors.

Windows zip up and down way faster then before. Chesterton 651 E poured heavily on the spring did the trick here.
BUT the drivers side is still dragging. You can feel the  motor´s having hard to work to get the window up. The motor´s end gets warm after about 20 fast cycles, so I´m assuming this one´s in need for cleaning.

If you have the Service Manual handy just follow the steps under Section 14 starting in page 14-32 to remove the motor from the regulator for service. These steps are to be done before any attend of removing the motor from the regulator.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Hillbillycat

Right - check the manual first. I totally forgot to peek in there. Sorry.

David Greenburg

Assuming the regulator is spring-loaded like later models, be sure to carefully follow any instructions about securing the spring before removing the motor from the regulator. Otherwise the regulator arms can snap shut like a pair of spring -loaded scissors. This can be very painful. Don’t ask how I know this.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special