News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 Cadillac Eldorado Fuel Pump R&R

Started by dennisspeaks, December 06, 2020, 05:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisspeaks

I am suspecting that my fuel pump is going, the car has little power and is sputtering when I press on the gas.  How difficult is it to change one out on these, I have not been able to find any youtube videos on this process.

Any brands to stay away from?

Thanks,

Dennis
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1990 Sedan Deville -gave to son
1988 Fleetwood Brougham - gave to daughter
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442
1975 Caprice Classic Sold

TJ Hopland

A bad pump could cause those symptoms but there is about a dozen other things that could also cause it.   Pump isn't that expensive or difficult so if it doesn't look like its been recently replaced it may not be the worst idea to replace it. 

Its not too bad a job.  The worst part is sometimes the fitting for the hard steel line really doesn't want to come out and there isn't a lot of room to get flare wrenches on it can good leverage.   I have had to cut the line and get it on the bench to get em out then use a piece of hose to splice it back together.   

I get confused between these and the Olds which is a very similar pump just flipped upside down and on the other side of the engine.  One of the bolts gets blocked by the body of the pump so you have to take forever with a open end wrench or I think you can squeeze something like a gear wrench in there.   I find it easier to get at it from below.  You have to be below to deal with the lines anyway. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Roadmaster75

I replaced my fuel pump on my 78 Biarritz.
It was easy and straight forward.
One additional thing.
There is a section of the Cadillac shop manual regarding suspected fuel delivery
issues you have.
It states that while you have the fuel line from tank disconnected, that you carefully set your air compressor
output to 5-8 lbs. of pressure , attach a blow gun, and gently back blow the line to the tank until your
hear bubbling and gurgling.  This is meant to gently blow away any collected debris from the mesh pick up sock in the tank.

Hope this helps.

dennisspeaks

TJ and Roadmaster75

Just now saw these replies, thank you.  I sold the car, bought another one and sold it and bought another which a still have.

Thank you.
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado