News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 door lock assembly

Started by walt chomosh #23510, December 07, 2020, 03:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walt chomosh #23510

Hi guys!....I've struggled with my driver's door lock on my 55CDV for over 20years now. (driver that's driven) I'll play with the door handle button "shaft" and it will work for a while (2-3 years?) then act up again. I've lengthened the shaft with weld,shortened it,filed it and generally played to no avail. I have polished the lock release. (it was gouged from the "shaft" digging into it) The alignment of the shaft to release mechsm of the latch seems slightly misaligned. Has anyone else play with there's? (should the door "pop out" when pressing the button?) I'd like to move on but am struggling.(I'm wondering if the door once latched has too much pressure for the button and shaft to release it?)...just wondering.(by the way, I've lubed, lubed, and lubed)....walt...tulsa,ok

Quentin Hall

Have you installed new rubbers? Some of the new compounds are harder than original and cause resistance. I would look out for a new old stock lock on eBay and start fresh.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Walt,  I feel your pain! I've had the same problems on my 54. Bad design or just past the use by date? It seems an overcomplicated mechanism to me, but what do I know? Phil

Daryl Chesterman

Walt, have you looked at the latch alignment to the striker plate on the door frame?  Try this:  with the door open, press the latch release button on the outside of the door and slowly close the door with the latch button depressed.  Does it slide into the striker plate without dragging on the nylon guide or otherwise dragging?  If it is not smooth in this engagement, that could be the problem.  Does the door have to ride up on the nylon guide as it closes?  If so, either the door hinge pins/bushings are worn, door hinges need adjusting, or the striker plate needs adjusting.  After 65 years, that heavy door has probably worn the hinge pins and bushings enough to allow the door to sag a bit. Any adjusting of the hinges or striker plate would have to be determined by how well centered the door is in the door frame and adjusting the appropriate one.  You can check the hing pin/bushing wear by moving the door close to the opening in the car and lift up and down on the door to determine looseness.  I would say that when the outside door latch button is depressed, the door should pop openâ€"if the door is not hanging up on the latch/striker plate, and the latch mechanism is releasing.

That is a nice looking car for a towing vehicle :D

Daryl Chesterman