News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1966 Cadillac Deville Convertible Door JAMB Rubber Conduit

Started by RandyK, December 09, 2020, 12:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyK

My 66 is missing both door Jamb Rubber conduits.  I found them on line but worried about how to disconnect all the wires to run it through then reconnect wires.  Any one done this before.  Even thought about slicing down the back to slip it over the wires.  Wonder if it will close without popping off. Any advice would be appreciated.
Randy K  Dallas
RandyK

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Randy,

It takes a bit of patience and it’s worth doing right. Slitting the conduit results in a covering that will fail quickly. I bought the part from Steel and was completely satisfied. I also bought a wax based lubricant from Eastwood that was a major help. Start by removing the upholstered door panel and disconnecting all the electrical and vacuum hose connectors. The electrical plugs are unique to each location so you don’t have to label them. The vacuum door lock hoses are color coded but you should note the relative locations : orange upper or lower, yellow lower or upper. There are small screws that clamp the hoses in place along their route. Save and reinstall them or you’ll have rattles afterward.  Carefully cut the old conduit length wise. Don’t damage the internal wires. With the conduit removed feed the wires and hoses in the door through the hole at the front of the door frame. Inspect the wires for cuts and tears. More on repairs below. Clean but don’t straighten the wires as they have a proper set shape for  location and path. Spray the inside of the new conduit with Eastwood lubricant and feed the wires and hoses through it passing the largest items first. I forget whether there’s a front and back to the conduit’s shape. Press front end of the conduit into the cowl side of the door jam. Start feeding the all of the exposed wires and hoses into the door. It might be helpful to tape the edge of the metal opening as they can be sharp. Press the rear end of the conduit into the door opening. Feed the wires and hose throughout the  door the appropriate location and secure them. Make certain that the wires for the power window controls have enough slack to pass through their access holes for the armrest.

Harness repair: If the wire harness has cracked or frayed wires it’s best to repair now while everything is apart. You can  remove the harness to repair the wires if necessary. The electrical harness in the door passes through the  cowl jam opening and bends down toward the floor to a plug connector. Remove the carpeted kick panel and look near the door opening.  Cut and strip the wires at the bad spots and join then with end-to-end crimp connectors. I often wick some solder into the connector and seal the area with heat shrink jacket. 

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Chuck Swanson

Just to add, John Abend, Capt'n Cadillac on ebay makes a new connector for the wires.  It will be much easier if you install his refab screw-on black connectors to the window switch wires.  The original style cap usually does not go back on cleanly as they are just plastic like clips.   

Also, if you want a new one when out, I helped YNZ with making new harnesses, as I was the first one. They are now available.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

RandyK

RandyK