News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Re-rubberizing my battery hold down bracket

Started by MidModCad, December 09, 2020, 02:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

My battery hold down is losing its rubberized coating and I'd like to restore it to new looking if possible. Has anyone tried the rubberizing sprays or dips?  Which brands work best and can you get that glossy factory finish?  Thanks all.

KOKNEYELDO

Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

Michael Petti

I would suggest Flexseal as my first choice. Available everywhere, Home Depot and Lowes come to mind and its inexpensive considering what it does. Either spray or brush works well just be sure to properly prepare the metal first. I have used on cars to protect seams from collecting water with great results. My other suggestion is Miracle Paint if rust is an issue. It's  available at Eastwood or Mercedes Source. It's a marvelous product and stops rust used properly. It is more expensive though.  Hope this helps.

MidModCad

Thanks for the tips.  The car is a '61 so the bracket is factory coated with that thick glossy rubber stuff which is now peeling away.  I'm assuming it was done as an insulating measure in addition to corrosion resistance.  My hesitation with some of these spray on coatings is they aren't really durable (or thick) enough to last and won't have that same shiny appearance. McVey's offers an exact replacement but they are pricey.

TJ Hopland

Can you still buy that tool handle dip stuff?   Seems like that was usually fairly glossy. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

TJ Hopland

Just thought of something else.   Its not that shiny but should be pretty durable.   How about electrical heat shrink tubing?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

MidModCad

Apparently yes, TJ, Pasti Dip is going strong. https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/ .  Looks like a good option and I'll definitely give it a try.  Thanks all.