News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Coupe Convertible Vent Window frame broken

Started by manfredrusche, December 11, 2020, 09:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfredrusche

Does anybody know somebody who can help with a LH drivers side vent window frame for the 1941 Convertible? Or an idea who did new castings for this? Thanks for any help! Please contact me direct: manfredrusche@web.de. Thank you.

carlhungness

Call Chris at 814 899-1233. He owns a high class expensive chrome shop. He'll have
knowledge of who can weld it.

walt chomosh #23510

Fred,
  I've got all the various welders and the skill to use them properly but I would suggest trying to find a replacement. I did a repair on the driver's side of my 55CDV and I fabed a "doubler" out of stainless and fastened with screws. This repair, I'll admit, turned out great. Car doors get slammed and worked so breaks like this are common to vintage vehicles.....walt...tulsa,ok

Quentin Hall

That is a very vulnerable area where it has broken. Even a competent repair will be compromised. Die cast is the bane of the hobby. I have welded 59 convertible rear window frames. ( they always crack on the lower edge due to the force of the motor pushing up), and require a strengthening gusset.
I have made stainless replacements for 53 Eldos with great results.
If you get stuck you could send it over and I could have a go at making it. If you get an original replacement , I’d consider buying the broken one to use as a template to see if I can replicate it. A fabricated one will be different below the door line but authenticity doesn’t override practicality in this instance.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

kgreen

Tough break.  I've got two that are broken.  You should also expand your search to include the big Olds and some of the higher series Buicks who used the same frames.