News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wanna laugh!!!

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, December 11, 2020, 11:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Check out the birthdays!!! Easy to find people that haven't been on the  board in 8,10 or 12 years!!! I'm not sure how much memory they take up??? I suggest a 4 year cutoff.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

chrisntam

If people are removed does it also remove their posts?  If so, that’s not good.

Is there a memory problem with the boards?  Just buy more...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: chrisntam on December 11, 2020, 11:32:01 PM
In a word yes.

From what I understand, when removing a Member, their posts go as well, which is why Moderators don't take matters lightly when censoring a Member for a serious matter, as it also takes out replies to that post when the Member made the first post.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quentin Hall

Bruce and the team of moderators are wise.
Imagine the wealth of knowledge lost, if all my posts got deleted? Not to mention the outrageous comments, questionable humour, political incorrectness, locked threads.
But I guess I’d have to become a member before I could become a lapsed member.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

fishnjim

There's other ways around this "IP" issue.   I've proposed several times here and to the admin.
Create an archive/database for documents, pictures, and tech/how to info.
Even the owners clubs do this and other brand sites.   Searching decades of forum discussions for kernels is not efficient use of resources and wiping the slate removes it forever. 

z3skybolt

Believe it or not...

....after joining this forum in 2016 I spent several days during the winter reading every posting on every subject still remaining on the forum.  I learned a good deal and especially enjoyed the older posts as my interest was and remains primarily in pre war cars.

Let's keep them all for as long as we can.

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Carfreak

Quote from: chrisntam on December 11, 2020, 11:32:01 PM

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 12, 2020, 12:23:48 AM
In a word yes.

From what I understand, when removing a Member, their posts go as well, which is why Moderators don't take matters lightly when censoring a Member for a serious matter, as it also takes out replies to that post when the Member made the first post.

Bruce. >:D

Not necessarily Bruce.   Perhaps the new CLC Webmaster can review the Forum Settings with you to prevent that from happening. 

I'm an Admin at a couple other Forums which also use Simple Machines Software and there are options for Admins when deleting a User's Account. 

An Admin can choose to remove:

A.  None of a member's posts
B.  All of a member's posts
C.  A member's posts and topics (that the member started)

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

chrisntam

Is there a problem?  Or why did Bob post this?  Just wanting to clear the non-participants?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

I still don't get it or the laugh reference.

Check out what birthdays? I don't have mine set, what's the big laugh??
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Chris & others,
I think it's laughable that posters from YEARS ago should still be mentioned in the birthday section. Mike, scroll down to upcoming calendar  & you'll see what I mean. Most of the people named are NEVER coming back to the board. What do you think after 8,10 or 12 years??  My suggestion is, clear them out. Most of them are one hit wonders, non club members & in many cases never respond  if ever. . Why ???  the next thing that happens is some newbie draaaaags up the post . The OP & most of the responders are long gone, but some current posters start responding as if it was current news. That's the laughable part.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

cadillacmike68

OK.  I see it.

I just never looked at that before. And yes some haven't been on for 4 years or longer. 

Now if I can remember to look at it when my next birthday comes up, it will be interesting to see if I am there because I have no birth date in my profile. And it's staying that way.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Glen

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on December 13, 2020, 12:32:34 AM
I have no birth date in my profile. And it's staying that way.

Ditto.

What's interesting is to click on MEMBERS > VIEW THE MEMBERS LIST, then click on POST twice you will see the members listed by fewest to most postings.  There are 118 pages + 5 members on page 119 of members that never posted on here.  At 50 members per page that is 5,905 members that have not posted at all.  Most likely many of them  found what they were looking for and left. 

There is a total of 13,369 members listed. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Fins

The reason they don't come back is, they have to register to ask the questions and post. They get the answer they need and go away. Some return to learn more, many don't. Some become paid members. It's counterproductive to delete their profiles in a lot of ways. If they don't return, precious few resources are used to store their information. The board loses nothing, but has the potential to gain.

Who cares if their birthdays are listed? It shouldn't affect the board in the least other than a little more printing on the page. Go through the membership one day when it's raining and you're stuck in the house. There are loads of folks that don't post, but come here to read. Some are here longer than 5 years with a '0' post count.

Now look at the 'Guest' list. Thousands of them. They came here to read, look at the pictures, many are just bots scanning for numbers and email addresses. These are gathered and sold to spammers to overload your inbox.

I suggest you don't lose any sleep over it all. You'll get grumpy from lack of sleep.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

cadillacmike68

Disk storage is the least expensive part of any system operation. The few, long ago, never posted, ids should stay.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Carfreak

Many may have registered for the Forum in able to be able to use the Search function. 

You must be logged into the Forum to be able to Search. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.