News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cruise in tomorrow, in December, on the Cape, for Toys For Tots

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 13, 2020, 12:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Thankfully my town or the next town over (where the cruise in is) haven't salted, then again we haven't had any real snow,
just a dusting a few days ago for the first time. I drove the entire route today with my SUV, no salt anywhere. The Ark and I are going tomorrow and I - can't - wait. Been driving The Ark every moment I could since I got him back. We're ready for tomorrow, weather is sunny and 60. On December 13, on Cape Cod. If this is 'global warming' - GIVE ME MORE. The toy drive is at "Attention To Detail" in Dennis if you're in the 'hood. 10am to whenever. LET'S GO!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Fins

Damned cold and raw here. The wind takes the chill right to your core.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

James Landi

Sounds like a great event... Up here, in rainy coastal Maine, snow is becoming a rare event ..Pleased to know that you're fully enjoying the ARK, and soaking in the ambience of its interior appointments, its lovely driving dynamics, and the pride of ownership that you (and we) derive from automotive excellence of decades past.  Your presence at the show will certainly enhance the experience of all those who attend and will raise resources  for a significant and worthy cause.  Happy day to you, James

Big Fins

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Awww thanks guys!
Just a BLAST! 29,800 toys were collected across the Cape for the "Stuff A Bus", all toys stay on the Cape. The
event we attended collected 650 toys! After the cruise in, we cruised to the Stuff A Bus location in my home town, what
a crowd waiting, what a welcome we got. Loved the 'super cars' jumping the 40 car line to block the intersections, Secret Service couldn't have done it any better. Here's a pic someone took of The Ark prowling and a Facebook link with pics to the event. Also attached is a cut/paste of my post on Facebook, we had a "moment" with the public getting groceries. SO GLAD I went, now real snow is coming and The Ark is docked for the winter. Michael will be coming here at some point to get him up on jacks and take out the drive shaft for service, then put it back on.

https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/posts/3545356978912759

"Its all about the car..."
After the show and cruise The Ark was down graded to a grocery getter. The week from hell and I was out of almost everything. To Shaw's first for all items except milk, I prefer to support non-union shops. In the parking lot when I came out, a gaggle of a family ogling The Ark, he posed for pictures. Then to Stop'n Rape (union) but just for milk as their's is the only milk I can drink beside Market Basket. When I came out to The Ark, there was a couple staring at it. The man, maybe 70, is visibly reactive. "Its not for sale" I said with a smile (no mask). He said his father had one just like it, but gold with a white top, same type of interior. "Was your dad a good man?" with a smile. 'He was the best' and now he's crying. "Then you should sit in it!" Opened the drivers door, he got in, and just stared, you can see people going back... "Where did you sit when your dad had a similar car?" 'in the back seat with my sister, she's gone too', and he's really upset. "Then get in the back seat where you belong, and don't put your feet on the foot rests" (laughing). He gets in the back seat, and is pretty much inconsolable. His wife, I think, goes to comfort him, I stopped her. 'Let his father and sister comfort him, its best.' She looked at me and nodded her head. I let him sit there, crying as I added my package to the trunk. I just let him sit there, weeping. So I start to cry, and his wife. After a few minutes he got out, he thanked me for letting him sit in it. "Your dad and sister are still with you, you just have to look...." 'Can I hug you' he says, 'I know the virus..." 'PHUCK THE VIRUS, THERE IS NO VIRUS, hug me damn it' with a laugh. And he almost dislocated my back. Its all good. He thanked me again, I said he was more than welcome and wished them both a Merry Christmas. He took a picture of car. 'Want me to take a picture of you in it?' "no, this is enough, thank you" You're welcome. And they went to their car.
It's all about the car. Its ALWAYS all about the car...
How blessed am I? I own The Ark, I can be 10 years old with my mom and dad beside me anytime I want...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

mario

Hey laurie:
You found the meaning of Cadillac Christmas. It's all about the memories.  And not necessarily ours.
Been down that same road with my 49 cad and especially my 56 gmc truck. Met so many working class families whose father, grandfather, or uncle had one of those gmcs back on the farm. And they let him drive it on the farm. First time behind the wheel. There is a special place for people that bring back those feelings in others. Enjoy your ark. I'll  enjoy my ruby and my white spirit (gmc, named by my mom!) Miss her.
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

Highwayman68

1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Lexi

I had a similar experience. In about 2013 a woman who was quite taken with my car said her late father had owned one, which he only drove on perfect cloudless days when the car was spotless. She used it for her first date, her prom night and her wedding day. She was a little teary eyed, & took a few cell phone shots to send to her brother. She was quite moved by the experience, and it is one that I shall never forget.

Then in 2019, about 6 years later, I got a call from a Caddy buddy who was talking to a female spectator at a classic car show who was looking for my car. I wound up chatting with her who used my buddies cell phone. Oddly enough, I had attended earlier, but had left for home at the precise time she had arrived; with her only to see my car driving away. I replied that I would return as the show was only 20 minutes down the road.

Yes, it was her again, and she said since first seeing my car some 6 years earlier, she had looked for it ever since, wherever she went. She even attended classic car shows hoping to spot it. So there I was, back at the show, now with most of the cars gone & the event done. I as well asked if she would like to sit behind the wheel. Using her phone I got some pictures for her. Then she showed me a prized shot of her Dad's old Caddy which she had copied to her cell phone. The car turned out to be a year older than mine, but it was also a Series 75. Show organizers were also now present, (as my car was the only vehicle now on the lot). They were also quite moved, and were thrilled to see the joy that their show had brought to this spectator. It flooded back fond memories, which obviously were highly treasured by her. As one CLC member told me a while back, "Old cars are  memories". He was correct. Clay/Lexi

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Folks, our cars are hobbies, distractions, personal time machines and bottomless money pits.
Most importantly, they're our responsibility. Its our job to share them with the world. Isn't that cool?
Drive your cars. Take them to shows, burger cruise ins, go get your groceries every now and then with them.
You never who or when you'll impact someone else's life with your car. Drive your cars. Its our job.

And today (16Dec) is our 3rd Arkiversary, 3 years? It doesn't seem possible.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

Thanks to Laurie, Mario and Lexi for sharing their thoughts and personal narratives on this topic.   These cars are, indeed,  time machines in the largest and literal sense of human possibilities... for they conjure up a fast receding era of American culture and, for some, as eloquently aforementioned, strike a very strong visceral cord with a rich and deeply felt emotional past.   Happy day,  James

Highwayman68

WOW Laurie you got me thinking and I figured out that next April will be the 40th anniversary of when I purchased my 1968 Fleetwood. I have to plan something to celebrate that.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Lexi

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Pahty in Florida for Mark and his car!
James, always enjoy your comments, passionate and erudite.

And they STILL haven't salted the roads around here, still driving The Ark when time allows.

Shut up and drive!!  ;D

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville