News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

365 with edelbrock : tv rod adjustment

Started by Rdtreur, December 14, 2020, 02:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rdtreur

The 1958 365 with the stock 4 speed hydromatic in my 1952 is idling decent now. It has a used edelbrock on it.
Now I got the task to adjust the TV rod to get my transmission to shift and work properly.
I need to fab a bracket to connect the TV rod. I assume I’m not the first one to put a edelbrock on his 365 with a tv rod connected to it;-).
Can someone point me in de right direction for this job.
I do got a 1952 shop manual. Wil the TV rod adjustment be similar to for the ‘58 as the ‘52?
Here is a photo of my 365 with edelbrock:
R.D. Treur
Past caddy’s:
‘68 convertible ‘70 Eldorado,  ‘75 sedan, ‘75 Fleetwood

goob

This is a shot of the edelbrock on our '59 convertible. The extra 'plate' was taken from the original carb. Adjustment on the TV rod will be adjust and drive...adjust and drive...until you find the sweet spot. Similar 'plates' are available from carb sellers and hot rod places.

phildeville@cox.net

When I started the EFI installation on my '54 (331), I made a few measurements of the Trans-rod positions on the 4-Jet.  Radius from throttle shaft, idle position (7 o'clock), full open pos'n (4 o'clock ) & horizontal difference between the 2.   Using those values, I made a 1/4'' thick aluminum plate & attached to the throttle plate.  Worked prefect the 1st time & never touched since!

GL,

Phil
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

The Tassie Devil(le)

I had a similar problem when I reinstalled a 390 back into my '60 CDV, (it had a 454/TH400 when I purchased it with a Holley Spread Bore) and I had to make up the linkage.

As I had no original 1960 Carby to go on the 390, I retained the Holley Spreadbore and with the help of Michael Stamp (he drew up the required measurements) and I was able to create the correct dimensions for the replacement plate.

It is not pretty nor original, but not much on this car was original.   1961 Engine, 1960 Transmission, RHD conversion requiring a cable-operated throttle throttle, electric fuel pump and chrome air cleaner.

It is all about getting the arc of the throttle linkage and the transmission kick-down worked out so that everything works as Cadillac intended.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Rdtreur

Thanks everybody.
@bruce: very useful drawing and photo’s! do you know the a to b and c to d dimensions?
And your throttle link looks to be very close to the throttle shaft. This looks different than the drawing? Is it me or is it just looking different?
Thanks again:-)
R.D. Treur
Past caddy’s:
‘68 convertible ‘70 Eldorado,  ‘75 sedan, ‘75 Fleetwood

fishnjim

When I got my '58 the rod was left laying on the manifold with an edelbrock on it.   I got a bunch of carb linkage parts kits(Holley?) from Summit and found one, a straight piece that I could bolt to the outside of the edelbrock linkage.   It worked well. (Had to do similar when I changed to 3x2)   Didn't even need to adjust, just found the right hole location.   Wouldn't win any awards but functional.  Just use a big air cleaner or elegant is make a new bracket as shown.   Still not "correct" but neither is the edelbrock.
What I recall because I thought that, I don't think the factory '58 side linkage will fit directly on the Edelbrocks, as I have a correct Carter (& Rochester), I also used for a while after the edelbrock.   The spatial hole measurements from it are more important and make sure you mount so rods travel in the right direction.   

Lexi

If you think it will help, I will remove the throttle connection plate from a 1956 Cadillac carburetor, photograph it with a scale, and post. The '56 has a factory installed 365 motor. That plate has the TV rod hole in it. It may help to serve as a template for you. Clay/Lexi

Edit: Worst case scenario I can do a tracing of it and post.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Rdtreur on December 15, 2020, 01:08:16 PM
Thanks everybody.  .... @bruce: very useful drawing and photo’s! do you know the a to b and c to d dimensions?
And your throttle link looks to be very close to the throttle shaft. This looks different than the drawing? Is it me or is it just looking different?   Thanks again:-) 
Sorry about that, but the drawing I received, I was only after the placement of the TV rod pivot in relation to the throttle shaft.

In the drawing the throttle shaft is the angled slot, and the throttle rod connection was below the throttle shaft, but as my carby had the throttle lever above the throttle shaft, and the throttle was operated by a cable, which pulled, as against a factory rod that must have been a pusher, I was only concerned about the throttle shaft to TV pivot location.   In my last set of pictures, you will see that the Throttle Cable is mounted higher than where the throttle shaft would be.

I would have been supplied with the actual measurements you are after in the email that was sent with the picture, but sadly, that was back in 2006, and seems to have gone.

But, the only other picture I could find that might be helpful is this one.

The second picture in this post is one of my test pieces.

The last picture was another attempt to get it right, but that didn't work.   Actually, I think it was my initial attempt which was before I got the Drawing from Michael.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon