News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Not a Happy Camper

Started by Ike, December 19, 2020, 02:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ike

So, Being new to buying a car over the Internet, I had a couple cars I liked, and had them inspected buy independent car inspectors, as you can guess, this is not cheap, but very well worth the expense IF you buy the car.

So, in a couple of the cases, I passed based on the inspection results.    Then I cam e across a 1969 Cadillac Convertible in Oregon,  It presented very well, and I checked out the seller, and they had very good reviews.  I decided after several emails and videos, that this was a good vehicle for the $. 

It was also listed on E-Bay, so I know that if I made the purchase through E bay, I would have some recourse if this was not as advertised.

The sale went through flawlessly, I received all the proper paperwork, Title, BOS,  I even spoke to the previous owner, and was very comfortable with the purchase. 

The transport was where the issue came in.  I reached out and found a Broker, (King of the Road)  that had very good reviews,  I spoke with the representative several times and was assured that they would maintain constant communication throughout the transit.

My car was picked up on 12/08 in Oregon and estimated to be delivered to me in NC NLT 12/18.

The car was picked up from the previous owner on 12/08.  I have photos of it loaded up.

On 12/17 (Thursday) I received a call that the truck carrying my vehicle  had experienced a brake fire and was destroyed, (In Wisconsin)  I was also informed that my car, was not damaged. 

Needless to say I was livid.  All I was told was I need to contact the Ins. Adjuster.     I did that, I am now waiting on some news as to whether my car was damaged, or is just in limbo.

I am considering contacting an attorney, I also had insured the car through Grundy prior to having it shipped, I know they are not liable to pay out any claim, but maybe they can go to bat for me against the carrier.

Anyway,  I'm reaching out to see if anyone has any experience in this type of situation.  I know I need to give the transporter Insurance Company time to make this right, But Im not confident that will happen.   

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable
69 Coupe Deville. Previously owned
72 Eldorado. Previously owned
71 Coupe Deville. Previously owned
72 Coupe Deville. Previously owned

76eldo

Why is the car not covered by Grundy?
I have my cars insured with Hagerty.
I live in Pa. I bought a car in Florida in February and flew down to inspect it and drive it in person right before the virus broke out big time.

I insured the car that day, adding it to my policy and asked specifically if I am covered for the transport from Florida to Pa and was told yes.

If the tow vehicle was destroyed and your car was not damaged maybe they just need to reschedule the rest of the trip.
Why call a lawyer and push that panic button. The transport company will immediately get their back up and then you will have more problems and expense.

I hope you get some news on your car.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Ike

I m not sure Grundy will not cover it.   I’m not trying to push the panic button yet.  But I looked at the Insurance companies reviews and I’m not confident that this will be a quick resolution. 

I am going to reach out on Monday.  I covered the car on 12/04. But My insurance should not have to pay out, it should be the carriers.  I just thought Grundy would have better luck pushing it than I
Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable

hornetball

Factor in the holidays.  Nothing is going to go quickly between the holidays + Covid shutdowns.  I know it is easier said than done . . . but I would try to "enjoy" the holidays and then address this in earnest after the 1st.  I suspect this will work out OK.  I would call Grundy to confirm coverage and put in a claim pending satisfactory resolution.  That will get them working for you.

wrefakis

I have transported thousands of late model cars posting on board and thru brokers, the breakdown stories pop up around holiday and also to stall while building a load.
My Cadillacs I have always opted for one of the known to the hobby carriers and have had no issues
Insurance is effective when bound, I have shipped a 59 Eldo from out west this year and bound it with Haggerty before I even paid for the car
your transporter should have cargo coverage as well

i think you will be fine

Ike

Appreciate the advice to peel me off the ceiling
Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Ike,
Sorry this is happening to you. However...something's  not making sense.
If your car is not damaged, why are they mentioning an insurance adjuster???
Tell them you want pictures of your car.
Tell them to get it on another fuXXXng truck & deliver it.
If they can't do that, find a secure indoor storage facility & hire another trucker to finish the job. Keep us informed.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

TJ Hopland

It does seem like there is something missing from the story.   Was this transporter a 1 truck 1 man show?  If so the mess does seem a little less crazy.  You also wonder if the issues may be related to where this happened and maybe damage to other property around it and that property owner is holding things up till they are satisfied?     Brake fire seems a little strange,  its not like there are a lot of mountains in that part of the country where its more common to have brake fires. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Ike

Bob,
      They have sent an adjuster out to evaluate the cargo to find out which cars were damaged, apparently these trucks are special, not regular tractors, as this was an enclosed transport, mine was in the attached trailer,   again Im not confident in any of the players in this right now. 

Hope to find out more on Monday, as this is not a priority for anyone but the vehicle owners at this point.

Claims adjuster says she will provide all photos once she has them. 
Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable

KOKNEYELDO

We are cargo surveyors based in southern CA and handle a lot of claims that involve cars being damaged in transit.

So this applies for cars being hauled in the USA mainland.

All trucking companies are required by law to operate their truck with valid Motor Truck Cargo (MTC) Legal Liability Insurance.

The "long-haul" carriers generally pick-up the car from point "A" and deliver it to point "B"; and do not subcontract it to another company.   

But the vast majority of the non "long-haul" carriers use trucking brokerage firms and the "broker" then earns a small fee (commission) after finding a trucking company.

A lot of the claims are from when trucking company just subcontracts the move it to another trucking company.

They are a LOT cheaper but you get what you paid for.

1.) The majority of trucking company pay for Motor Truck Cargo Legal Liability insurance coverage and have policies that are usually have a limit of $100K less a deductible.

2.) The well known carriers that specialize in hauling cars in enclosed trailers have Motor Truck Cargo Legal Liability insurance coverage and have policies that are usually have much higher limits, less a deductible.

3.) The trucking brokerage firms are only interested in earning a small fee (sometimes only $150.00) and only have "Contingent" Motor Truck Cargo Legal Liability policies, which in essence means they will only consider paying for the claim IF the insurance company that was actually hauling the car denied liability.

If your car is worth more than $100K you should pay more for additional limits of liability AND GET IT IN WRITING!

Do not forget that the limits of liability, generally at $100K, are for "per occurrence", not "per vehicle", so if there are 6 damaged cars on the trailer, they will share the monies, and not equally.

Always demand a copy of their current Certificate of Liability Insurance that will show the dates of coverage and limits of liability and deductible.

If you use a broker always demand a copy of their current Certificate of Liability Insurance that will show if they only have "Contingent" Motor Truck Cargo Legal Liability policy coverage, the dates of coverage and limits of liability and deductible.

Always carefully inspect the car at the times of pick-up and destination, note any visible damages and handwrite them on the document (such as the Bill of Lading) before the driver leaves.

If the driver says he does not want you to write anything down for damages (for example), do not sign the Bill of Lading, call the trucking company/broker IMMEDIATELY and send them email IMMEDIATELY with your complaint.

Always obtain a copy of the Bill of Lading from the driver that he and you have both signed.

NEVER pick-up your car at night as damages are less visible and parts are stolen from cars all the time!

If the price for hauling your car is too small, think twice!

That is only a summary of what could happen and hope that helps!
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

cadillacmike68

Wow, what a mess. Good luck and lea keep us informed.

I'm at the point, and I've done it before on long distance purchases, is fly out to it, and drive it back home.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Michael Petti

Had a little experience in my career with this sort of thing. Your insurance company (Grundy) is responsible to cover your car according to the terms of the policy as soon as it is bound. They will then "subrogate" against the carrier to recover their money.  The carrier will turn the matter over to their insurance company to deal with Grundy.  Grundy will recover what it can, hopefully all the money. This happens all the time in the insurance area. Hope this helps. Maybe there was no damage to your car and they can just ship it on another truck. Get pictures from you insurance company's adjuster ASAP. Hope this puts your mind at ease a little.

Ike

Thanks Mike.  I’m calling Grundy in the AM and give them the Carriers Insurance info and Claim #.   

My car’s value is relatively small compared to most, $23,000.   But that is a lot for me.    Hoping there is no damage and They will just finish getting it here.

This was my first experience with this and I have learned quite a bit.  Unfortunatley, to little to late.   

The reviews for the Broker were great,  but once I contracted them, I had no say in who they contracted,   My cost to ship from Oregon to NC. $2025.00.  To date I have only paid $150.   Balance due on delivery.   

If the car is in fact lost, and I can recover the total cost of the car, I would be out the cost of the registration and sales tax,  plus the $150.  For a total of $800.00.

I’m still hoping this has a happy ending.   I’m very skeptical though. 

Appreciate everyone’s words of encouragement and advice.

Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable

TonyZappone #2624

No brokers.  Did that once.  Was bugged by every dork in the Eastern US.  For weeks I was solicited.  By phone, by email, ad nauseatum.  Find a reputable carrier, one most people have heard of, and pay the money
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Ike

Tony,
        I now know this.  To bad I learned to late :-\
Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable

fishnjim

KokneyEldo has very good points everyone should heed.   Don't want your dream car to be a nightmare.   
CLC would do well to have a link/checklist for this type of thing before a member starts down the path, instead of dragging it through the mud, getting people upset, on a forum.

Always get everything in writing and get a (signed) copy, that's what the insurance companies demand(legal documents).   They can email or overnight mail before releasing.   That way you'll know if you're covered or not and by whom.   
When I was in industry, any 'contract' and nothing happened without one, had to have all it's paperwork in order/copies on file, meet the company liability coverage, etc. before anything happened and that's good general all around practice for the general public as well.  You'd be amazed how many times I encountered the contractors insurance was "expired" and the purchasing guys picked them.   Verbal and hand wave doesn't protect anyone.   It's a value decision, if it's dear, then have appropriate protections.
Play by good rules.   When doing business, don't assume the other guy is above board.   IF they are, they won't hesitate to comply.   There's an old saying, don't "ass-u-me".   Avoids the finger pointing who's at fault? game, without a costly court appearance.
Since you have an adjuster on it, best to let them work.   May also want to call or request they call the state police where the "fire" reportedly occurred and see if a police report exists to check the story.   IF the trailer was destroyed, they would have called a fire dept/police and there'd be a report.   
It's not fair to trash all the haulers/brokers, but they need to police their own, too.  Just watch one episode of shipping wars!   And things do go wrong, so can't assume the worst until it's proven.   It's a stressful time and people are acting strange.   Not a business as usual time.   Slow go everywhere.   Enjoy the holidays with your family.
If you don't end up getting the car, then I'd watch the scrappers and other places selling cars and parts.   

Ike

Update: 

Called my insurance yesterday and reported the claim.   They said they would send an adjuster to make sure any damage was reported properly.    They reached out to the carriers insurance and today and confirmed there was no damage to my ride.

Received a very pleasant call from the carriers insurance stating that when they can secure proper storage for the undamaged cars they will unload them and another vehicle will come reload and get them delivered.   

I feel much better today
Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable

Michael Petti

Glad to see things have taken a turn for the better. Incidentally I think 69 Cadillacs are awesome. Enjoy it when you do get it.

Ike

Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable

Michael Petti

Boss Hogg drove a 70 in the Dukes of Hazard but both those years were awesome.