News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Town car

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, December 20, 2020, 11:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I watch "It Happened On Fifth Avenue" again on TCM tonight. I wish there could have been more screen time of the 1941 Town Car. I may have mentioned previously on the Forum that not too long before his death, Carl Steig had the opportunity to examine both of the two built, at the same location at a rural estate somewhere in CA. As I think I recall, they were altered by different body builders. (At this late date, I may be wrong.) Also, by "both" I mean the two more conventionally bodied cars, and not to include the one shown at the 2016 GN in DC.

There was a nice close up shot of the leather covering over the driver. And, I hope all of the tomatoes thrown at the car were sufficiently "ripe" to squish nicely on the paint and not cause any dents.

The host explained that the movie is moving into a Christmas time regular slot such as "It's A Wonderful Life," and that TCM regularly plans to show it at least once each holiday season. So you 1941 nuts out there can be assured of seeing this wonderful car at least once a year if you are so inclined. You have to be quick, but it was also used in a street shot parked near the music shop where Gale Storm went to apply for a job.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I just checked and it will be re-shown on Dec. 24 @ 11:45 AM. Besides the 1941 Cadillac town car, it is a very pleasant movie to watch.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Whit Otis, 1188

There are actually two different town cars used in the movie. If you look carefully you will see that the rear seat interior quarter lights are not the same and some other detail that escapes me at this moment. It’s a great movie which I have on DVD so I can hit pause and .... we’ll you know. Anyway I have watched this movie every Christmas for years and still enjoy it.
Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Whit, as I said, Carl inspected "both" of them and I wondered when watching the show, if they used both of them in the movie. (That's a very long time to stay "together." I would imagine that they got separated in the fifty years between the movie and I think Carl looked at them in the late nineties.)

Maybe I'll call Ted Raines and see if he knows any more relative to their present whereabouts.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville