News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2021 Escalade

Started by TonyZappone #2624, December 26, 2020, 07:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyZappone #2624

A good friend who is also a retired GM dealer wants a new Escalade.  He found the color he wanted at a S. Florida dealer.  Upon inquiry, he was informed that they had one, it would be $20,000 OVER sticker.  He told them to stuff it, good for him.  Tried a local dealer, who would order one, they only wanted $10,000 over sticker.  Moreover, neither would accept the GM certificate my friend has.  Here we go with the same crap as other scarce models from years past.  Finally he found a dealer up North that would order one for him and honor the GM certificate.  Can't believe it
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Bobby B

Q: Why would anyone pay anything OVER Sticker price?

I never understood this logic. Don't you just go to the dealer once they're available and either buy one off the lot or order it. I don't buy new cars so I'm out of this loop, therefore, can someone please enlighten me on this phenomenon. Thanks,
                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Bobby B on December 26, 2020, 08:27:55 AM
Q: Why would anyone pay anything OVER Sticker price?

I never understood this logic. Don't you just go to the dealer once they're available and either buy one off the lot or order it. I don't buy new cars so I'm out of this loop, therefore, can someone please enlighten me on this phenomenon. Thanks,
                     Bobby

MSRPs are suggested retail prices but ultimately, dealers set selling prices.  Usually selling prices are below MSRP and often have incentives but If a car is in high demand/short supply, some dealers will attempt to charge a premium above MSRP.  Sometimes you'll even find these "hot" models as used cars (from dealers or private parties) with asking prices above original MSRP.  As long as there are buyers willing to pay above MSRP, they will sell.  When demand and/or supply changes, sellers won't be able to demand premium prices.

The new Corvette is another example of a GM model that has recently been seeing above MSRP asking/selling prices.

fishnjim

He better hope that dealer can actually deliver.   
I (pre)ordered a new GM truck a few decades back before the new models actually hit the market.  Dealer priced it off his info, no real discount.   Took the down money.   This was reported in the WSJ, the GM whizkids came up with this computer program, that allocated inventory/production by sales and profit.   It was a hot redesigned model and selling fast.   I wanted a special model.   All I got for 6 months was "run-around de jour" til I finally pulled out and bought from the competition off the lot.   Got my deposit back but no interest.   Last time I bought a truck from them.

chrisntam

I ordered a '21 Corvette, an overwhelming number of dealers are selling them for sticker.  Just move on to the next dealer.  Those dealers that are selling for over sticker are being avoided.  A few new owners are reselling them (asking) for +10k to +20k over sticker.

As always though, our economic system is based on supply and demand.  If you don't want to pay the asking price, pass and move on or pony up.  A few Corvette buyers have ponied up. I won't, MSRP is already too high.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

e.mason

Years ago, I was good friends with the new car manager of a local Cadillac dealership.  I would frequently stop by the dealership to chit chat.  At one visit, they had a beautiful '78 Seville with a dealer custom paint job.  They basically took a delivered yellow Seville and painted the top 1/3 white.  Really looked stunning. It sort of reminded me of a lemon meringue pie.  Naturally, they added on an added cost for the "custom paint".  And yes it was exuberant.  I asked my friend.  Who would pay so much for so little?  He then gave me a quick lesson on how to sell cars.  He simply replied, "In selling cars, you must remember there is an ass for every seat".

Dealers know that out there somewhere.  Someone is willing to pay whatever it cost to have the newest and or the rarest.  I say more power to them.  If they want something and have the money to spend on it. Then by all means be my guest. 
Eric Mason

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: e.mason on December 26, 2020, 12:13:33 PM
Years ago, I was good friends with the new car manager of a local Cadillac dealership.  I would frequently stop by the dealership to chit chat.  At one visit, they had a beautiful '78 Seville with a dealer custom paint job.  They basically took a delivered yellow Seville and painted the top 1/3 white.  Really looked stunning. It sort of reminded me of a lemon meringue pie.  Naturally, they added on an added cost for the "custom paint".  And yes it was exuberant.  I asked my friend.  Who would pay so much for so little?  He then gave me a quick lesson on how to sell cars.  He simply replied, "In selling cars, you must remember there is  for every seat".

High markup aftermarket items were also a way for dealers to show larger discounts on paper or in advertising.  Also, possibly pad the trade allowances.  A typically equipped 1978 Seville may have had an MSRP of $16k but throw on a roadster roof, custom grille, custom wheels, etc. and the adjusted "list price" or "dealer list" could balloon to $20k or more.  Instead of advertising a $2k discount on the car without add-ons, they could advertise $5k+ in discounts with the add-ons thanks to the large markups.

TJ Hopland

What is the certificate thing that was mentioned?   I assume some sort of 'employee discount' deal?   If that goes against the dealers cut at all I could see that not helping especially when dealing with a hard to keep in stock car.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TonyZappone #2624

That is exactly what it is new to when we sold out in 2002.   Not familiar with all its characteristics
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 27, 2020, 12:27:39 PM
What is the certificate thing that was mentioned?   I assume some sort of 'employee discount' deal?   If that goes against the dealers cut at all I could see that not helping especially when dealing with a hard to keep in stock car.

My guess is that when a dealer is unwilling to sell a car under one of GM's special pricing programs (e.g., employee pricing), any related rebate certificates can't be applied.

79 Eldorado

Quote from: chrisntam on December 26, 2020, 09:46:52 AM
I ordered a '21 Corvette, an overwhelming number of dealers are selling them for sticker.  Just move on to the next dealer.  Those dealers that are selling for over sticker are being avoided.  A few new owners are reselling them (asking) for +10k to +20k over sticker.

As always though, our economic system is based on supply and demand.  If you don't want to pay the asking price, pass and move on or pony up.  A few Corvette buyers have ponied up. I won't, MSRP is already too high.
Chris,
I recently heard they extended production of the 2020 Corvette. Normally the new GM models start around July of the prior year which would have meant the 2020 would have started around July 2019 and should have concluded July 2020. I wonder what that means for the 2021.

I'll need to take a look at the new Escalade. Did they introduce the next generation? Is the GMC version the same situation?

Scott