News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Light Monitor question for '72 Eldorado Convertible

Started by The Tassie Devil(le), December 29, 2020, 01:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

I have a quandary that I hope someone can give me the correct answer.

I am putting together my rear Fibre Optics at the rear of my '72 Eldorado Convertible, and would like to know which is the correct colour for the "jewels" that are inserted into the seat back mounting unit.

I have in my possession a Red, and a Clear (White) mount that the fibres attach to, and would like to know the correct one for 1972.    The Clear one has the letter "A" on it, and the Red the letter "B"

I am inclined to use the Red one as the rear lights project a red light through the lenses, as Red will be safer at night, as against the White light.   The fronts show different colours when they are illuminated.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I have just found out that Cadillac called the system "Vigilite"
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

All the rears I have seen have been red but I can't say for sure I have seen a 72.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

I wonder if Cadillac ever used red bulbs and clear exterior lenses on the rear lights, therefore utilizing the clear lens monitors. I also have never seen the clear, only the red used.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

hornetball

R Pope

On my 1972 Eldo the lense in the seat back unit is clear. There are red caps that go over the end of the fiber cable that are inserted into the tail light housing. I can send photos if that would help.

TJ Hopland

Ahhh,  that explains why a clear lens even exists.    Wonder why they changed?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha...... I am now even more edumacated.   Probably changed due to production costs, but I will still try and find out.

Now I will have to try and remove the tails that are in my tail lights to see if they have a clear end, or a red coloured end.

This will dictate what upper colour I have to use.

I have my joiners all ready to go, and onward and upwards.

Thanks to all who replied, and I will advise the outcome.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

hornetball

Bruce, I suggest just turning on your lights or hazards and observing the color of the open end of the fiber optic cable.  No need to further disassemble.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Rick,

I appreciate your suggestion, which was what I was going to do, but then I remembered that the ends of the cut cables are way down the back, behind the seat back, which I know I have to pull out to get to them.

Puling the tail light lenses out will serve me two purposes, and one will be being able to check the cleanliness of the internal reflectors as one never really checks this area, unless there is a problem.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have just had a eureka moment.

I remembered that I had an old tail light housing around, amongst my pile of parts, from a '71 Eldo that I stripped, and lo and behold, there was the plastic insert in the rubber grommet.   So, it looks like at least the '71 Eldorado had the Red light end, and once I see what is in the back of my own '72, I will find out what is there.

PS.   Had to do a bit of destruction work on the upper moulding retaining screws, as they were rusted tight, and the diecast was badly pitted, so it didn't matter.   Not sure why Cadillac didn't use self-tapping screws in this spot, as the machine thread was always going to rust, which is not surprising as the donor car was badly rusted.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV