News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Fleetwood interchange

Started by rsms, December 30, 2020, 10:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsms

I just acquired a very original 33k mile Fleetwood that has been sitting for many years.  It has mostly all original paint with the exception of where the previous owner spray can touched up some thin spots.  The right front fender has minor damage over the wheel well and although it is fixable I would like to replace it if I can find a very clean fender to do so with.  What are my options for a donor fender?  Does it have to be a Fleetwood or would a DeVille fender also work.  I know the 61 & 62 are very close to each other on many parts but there do seem to be slight differences.  I'm guessing (but could be totally wrong) 63 & 64 are not the same.  I also need the rear window trim, mine has been spray painted and is not in good condition, is it suppose to be chromed or is it painted originally?   Where would be a good source to learn the basic interchanges for my car as I have located a 61-64's in a old country salvage yard that I'm about to go explore and it would be nice to possibly find something I could use that is better than what I might have

Clewisiii

61 would be best.  62 can work with some modification.  I think mostly behind the headlights.  But finding any fender will be a problem.  And currently the assumption is any you buy will need to have repairs before you can use it.  I have not heard of anyone finding a clean fender in the last few years.

The only difference in the fenders between 61 would be the holes for the emblems. If you don't get a Fleetwood fender you will need to weld up and redrill for new emblems.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

1961 & 1962 fenders are not interchangeable.  There's more to it than holes drilled for trim parts - that much I know.

Otherwise, front fenders interchange between all 1961 models exc Series 75 & Commercial Chassis.

Not easy to find- may have to give some thought into restoring the sheetmetal you have.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Clewisiii

I am still working through mine for a 61 Fleetwood.  The lower rear patches can be bought from USA Parts Supply.  You are on your own for the brow over/behind the headlight. I had to hammer my own patches.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

David Greenburg

The rear window trim is painted, not chrome. Apparently it does not age well.  I have an original with 27k on it, and that is one of the few parts that shows some pitting.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Clewisiii

Even though the rear window trim from 61 and 62 are painted, the 63 and 64 Fleetwood use the same window but in stainless.  So that is the easiest way to replace it. But not original.

rsms

Thank you for the help.  If I cant find a very clean fender tomorrow when I go exploring the salvage yard I will repair mine as it really isnt that bad.  I like the idea of it staying completely original but I'm also pretty good with a hammer and dolly.  Back to the rear window trim, I'm guessing that is Fleetwood only?  Was it suppose to be painted the body color or is it in a contrast color?  If it does contrast is the color dependent on the body color? 

David Greenburg

Yes, the rear window trim is Fleetwood-only, as only that model had the smaller, formal window. My car is black and has black window trim, so I would assume that the window trim matches the body color on other colors as well, although I have not researched that.  But it was not chrome, and any other color would look pretty odd if it did not match the body.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special