News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac Indy 500 Pace Cars

Started by tbenvie, December 31, 2020, 04:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbenvie

I am researching the various Indianapolis 500 Pace Cars for an upcoming book. As always, there is often a great deal of misinformation about these cars.

In 1992 the 1993 Cadillac Allante was selected as the Pace Car.  There were thirty three 1993 Allantes painted Hawaiian Orchard with Neutral Interiors at the track, as well as fifty eight 1992 Allantes, red with charcoal interior. There were three 1993 cars used as the actual Pace car and the back ups. Surprisingly, these three were equipped with the optional hardtop while none of the others had this option (There is a different VIN for hardtop models in 1993). After the race the cars were stripped of decals and sold through the dealerships.  Most still exist, but often the owners do not know the Indy history of the cars.  I began my Indy research because I own a 93 Allante and 92 Allante actual Festival Car (#55). I found by creating a Facebook Group I can share the info and also get feedback from others to make any corrections, updates, etc.  Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1810267675909744/

I just finished researching the 1973 cars.  I did purchase the authenticity manual as well. If I could suggest some corrections to this manual:

The cars with the "500 Festival" gold decal were those cars assigned to the 500 Festival Directors and the Festival Queen. The 500 Festival Associates began in 1957 as a way to not only promote the race but also downtown Indianapolis. The first event was the 500 festival parade in 1957.  In 1959 the local Buick dealer loaned the group 25 cars to be used as they saw fit, and this was the beginning of the "Festival Cars". A sign on each car stated "500 Festival".  The Electra 225 was the Pace car, white with a red interior, but these loaned cars were various color combinations, and included Invictas as well as some hardtops. This would be easier for the dealer to resell the cars after the event. In 1960 Charles Stuart Oldsmobile provided over 100 cars to the track.  This included one car for each of the 33 500 festival Directors and the Festival Queen. These 34 cars were lettered as "500 festival" while the others were lettered similar to the actual Pace Car. This practice of lettering the 500 Festival Directors and Queens cars differently than the Pace Car until 1966. At this point the cars were all lettered similar to the Pace Car except the 500 festival Directors and Queen had a large round "500 Festival" decal on the car. These became known as "Festival cars", while the others were known as "Track Cars". Over time the names were often confused and changed, but now the Indy Speedway Museum would prefer all the cars at the track be called "Parade Cars".

By 1973 the 500 Festival Directors group had expanded some from the original 33 plus the Queen.  An Executive Director was added, and the previous years Presidents became Chairman and Vice Chairman, thus there would be 37 cars with the large gold "500 Festival" decal. This practice would continue until the early 1980s. The cars would be assigned the special pace car license plates 4-39 and the Queen would have plate #40. The 500 Festival Associates had to pay to register and operate these cars and these plates were associated with that group for 1973. Plate #1 was assigned to the Governor, #2 to the Mayor of Indianapolis, #3 to the track owner Anton "Tony" Hulman. Sometimes the actual Pace Car and back up also had plates, but as the 1973 cars were not "street legal" due to modifications they did not have a plate.  There is one more car to mention-the Grand Marshall of the event was the recently released POW of the Vietnam War Air Force Colonel James Kasler. All of the recently released POWs from Indiana were invited to the parade, and Col Kasler was the highest rank so named Grand Marshall. As he was not associated with the track or with the 500 Festival Associates he did not get a car from this group of cars.  However, Tutwiler Cadillac (one of the two Indianapolis dealers who received and prepped the cars for the track) provided Col Kasler a car with Michigan manufacture Plate 10M10. The VIN of this car is unknown. Col Kaslers name was on the front fenders of this car.  This is why there were reports of 38 cars to the track-the 500 Festival group, the Queen, and Col Kasler..

There was a total of 62 Pace Car license plates assigned, to include the non-Eldorados at the track.

Besides the eleven returning POWs, the thirty three drivers for the race are also part of the 500 Festival Parade, and sit three to a car based on the starting position row at the track (eleven rows of three cars). There were eight previous winners in six Eldorados for the parade. Lastly there were twelve celebrities at the track. These Celebrities would also be part of the pre-race parade around the track. As a result the hoods for these cars had hood pins installed and "Festival Director" lettering on the fenders. These drivers had special instructions as to where to pick up/drop off their passengers, and a secure location where they would wait for the parade to begin away from the crowds-this was standard for many other years as well.  The best I can tell there were 43 Eldorados as part of the 500 Festival Parade.

Here is the facebook Group with the info and more:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/798175474095098

76eldo

I own number 43 which was designated as the “Winner’s Car” and given to Gordon Johncock who won the race in 1973.

Tim Pawl knows pretty much everything about these cars and has owned his specially equipped car for many years. He wrote the authenticity manual and has compiled an unbelievable amount of info on these cars.  I assume you have spoken to him.

I’d be very interested in your book when it becomes available.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

D.Smith

Some photos for you.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Growing up in Indy just after the war, The Race occupied the entire month of May in the city, if not the entire state. Radios (WIBC-1070 AM) were to be heard through the open screen doors of most houses. You (mostly) listened to the entire race.

You had your own favorite driver and car. Mine were the Blue Crown Spark Plug Specials driven by Mauri Rose and Bill Holland in 1947-48. You got your race cars out and pushed them around on the sidewalk in front of your house. The Speedway sold a cast aluminum car about ten inches long with rubber tires on the wheels. I think Hubley had one (#22 I think) about eight inches long in cast metal. There are several on eBay today at prices from $99-$299.

As I said, the 500 occupied the month of May with the parade and various dinners and princesses. We originally lived a half block away from Georgetown Road on Mc Ray street and in 1941, my Dad allowed parking in our front yard. We could see cars on the back stretch from our upstairs bedroom window.

It definitely was "The greatest spectacle in racing." Unfortunately, it has now deteriorated into a two weekend affair with drivers you've never heard of. During the War, my dad was able to have someone drive my family around the track once in our 1937 Dodge. And in the 1970s, I was able to act as a "pace car" with my 1957 Cadillac convertible when Tony Hulman was still alive and allowed participants to the Hoosier Sell & Swap meet car show to have two laps around the track. I had three friends who drove their Lincoln four door convertibles as pace cars as well.

The three times the CLC had our shows there, we also got to drive our cars around the track. Tony was very gracious to the various car clubs who wanted to use the infield for old car related events. He had only two rules. Get a million dollar insurance policy for your show, and clean things up before you left.

I had occasion to call his grandson once when I was President for a possible show and he curtly informed me to make a proposal in writing and then "we'll see if you can afford us." (We had our GN in Chicago instead.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville