News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 Fleetwood interesting items of car's history

Started by R Mahl, January 01, 2021, 08:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Mahl

I was working on removing the drivers seat for some work on my 1955 60S today and came across some curious items.  The car was my grandfather's and was purchased at auction sometime in 1960.  It still has the original interior but the front seat is badly worn. 
   Out of the front seat dropped two gas receipts, one from Cardy's Esso at Broadway and Whitman Ave in Camden from 1958.  10 gallons of gas was a whopping three dollars.  Google street view shows the corner as a vacant lot today.  Another receipt was from an Atlantic station at Rte 73 and 5 st in Palmyra NJ.  18.8 gallons of Imperial gas came to $5.62.  It looks like a service center is still in operation on this corner. 
   The big find was a business card from Krometal Mfg. Co. in Philadelphia.  Michael I Dumsha is named on the card.  A little research turned up an obituary and an article on him in the Philadelphia Inquirer from March of 1967.  It seems he was president of the company.  Based on the article I am wondering if my car had been purchased as a company car back in 1955. 
   Based on the dealer tag that the car has it came from the Plachter Dealership in Philadelphia.  I have seen a postcard of the dealership from the 50s.  I am just wondering if anyone might have some further information on any of these locations.

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I remember seeing your car and talking to you at Macungie a few years ago. I grew up in Camden and remember those locations very well. Plachter Cadillac was at Adams Avenue and Roosevelt Boulevard in Northeast Philadelphia. It eventually became Plachter Serubo Cadillac and then Serubo Cadillac in the seventies. Mr. Serubo had some legal troubles at that time and the dealership closed up. The building was then an R&S Strauss auto parts store for many years until they closed up. The building was still standing a couple of years ago when I last went by there, but I don't know what is in it now.

e.mason

Quote from: Alan Harris CLC#1513 on January 02, 2021, 12:34:46 AM
I remember seeing your car and talking to you at Macungie a few years ago. I grew up in Camden and remember those locations very well. Plachter Cadillac was at Adams Avenue and Roosevelt Boulevard in Northeast Philadelphia. It eventually became Plachter Serubo Cadillac and then Serubo Cadillac in the seventies. Mr. Serubo had some legal troubles at that time and the dealership closed up. The building was then an R&S Strauss auto parts store for many years until they closed up. The building was still standing a couple of years ago when I last went by there, but I don't know what is in it now.

Since it's been almost 50 years ago.  I might be a little hazy with my recollections.  I believe Plachter started as an Oldsmobile/Cadillac dealership in the Frankford section of Philadelphia.  Here is where I might be mistaken.  I think Serubo bought out Plachter and moved the operation to Adams Avenue across from Sears in an old Food Fair building.  I only remember Serubo selling Cadillacs at this location.  The dealership was an overwhelming success.  They got rid of the "nose in the air" attitude that other Cadillac dealerships had, such as Center City Cadillac.  They went for volume and made Cadillacs more affordable with discounts.  Yes Pete Serubo did have some problems with GM.  He lost the dealership but GM gave him a Chevy dealership in Frankford.  It was the old Degnan Chevrolet dealership, renamed John's Chevrolet.  John was Pete's son.  Presently there exists no Cadillac dealerships in Philadelphia.
Eric Mason

e.mason

Quote from: Alan Harris CLC#1513 on January 02, 2021, 12:34:46 AM

Google shows the building as of August 2019 being for sale or lease.
Eric Mason

R Mahl

Thanks for the interesting tidbits of history on Plachter.  Alan I do remember the day at Macungie.  If I remember correctly you were driving a '36 LaSalle.  Hopefully this  summer the Awkscht Fest will go on!