News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need missing "R" sun visor bracket for 1937

Started by Stinson, January 11, 2021, 04:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinson

Hello, this sun visor bracket was lost from my car parts while at a shop and I have been searching for a replacement. The part number for the one I have is TO6357L so I need the R one. The spacing between all three holes center-to-center is 1 5/16 inches. I hope someone has one to sell. Thank you. I have tried everywhere - Cadillac, Buick, Chevy and etc.
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Alan Harris CLC#1513

These fit 1937-1940 GM cars. I needed them for my 1940 LaSalle and bought them from a place called I and I Reproductions, a Chevy part supplier in California. They sold them in pairs only.

tmdeturck

I too have been trying to find one (or a set) of these.  My 6019 has both brackets, but the left visor hangs down from the headliner a good 2"-3" or so.  Upon closer inspection (prompted by this inquiry) I found that the left bracket appears not to be the same as the right bracket, with different casting lines and numbers but similar exterior shape - likely came from another kind of car at one time.

Do you know if the chevy ones change the angle of the visor to the headliner?
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

Stinson

There seem to be plenty of them now but not this clover shape.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

tmdeturck

The 37-40 Chevrolet ones look a bit more like a "T" than the "Y" shape in your picture, the visor post is centered between the two mounting holes rather than centered between all three:

https://store.fillingstation.com/detail/6048/Chevrolet_193740PASS_INSIDE_SUN_VISOR_BRACKETS.html
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

Stinson

This is a very hard item to find - someone must have them for a GM car.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Daryl Chesterman

Ty, these are said to be for a Chevy, but look a lot like your pictures.  It is really difficult to tell from a two-dimensional picture, but it might be worth a phone call.  It says they are for years 1937-1940.

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/8643/Chevrolet_Sunvisor_Brackets_Interior_Except_Cabriolet.html

Daryl Chesterman

Stinson

Thank you Daryl, I have seen these and the shape differ. But I may have to go with them if the hole spacing is the same as mine being 1 and 5/16" center-to-center.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Question: For USA made cars, is the "L" on sun visor mounts for the driver's side?
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Stinson on January 13, 2021, 12:49:41 PM
Question: For USA made cars, is the "L" on sun visor mounts for the driver's side?

Typically yes. But if there's any part or casting number on it, most times you can refer to that if there is any question about which side you have.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

fishnjim

Make the shop get one.   They obviously didn't have sufficient controls and security to protect your parts.   

tmdeturck

I sent a message to the Filling Station asking them about their GR-195 / 4074008 and 4074009 bracket - the ones for 37-40 chevy.  This was their response:
"The mounting holes are not the same distance all around. The two short sides have holes 1.180inch apart on center. And the long side is 1.360inch on center.

The angle appears to be about 60degree."

So based on your measurements for series 85, I dont think these will work for you.  They might work for Series 60 though, I haven't confirmed if they match what I measure yet.

1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

Cadman-iac

Mr. Stinson,
I have a pair of visor supports as GM calls them,  with a part/cast number of 4157135, and they are symmetrical in design,  no left or right side, and the hole dimensions are 1 ³/⁸" center to center for all 3 holes. Here's some pictures of them showing the angle of the support as well. One is in better shape than the other. I can't tell what angle your piece has, the picture doesn't show it very well.  But if you think that these might work for you, you can have the pair for $20 and air fare.
CLC# 32373

Stinson

Thank you Mr. Cook. I will be very glad to purchase them and hope they will work. Please PM me as to where to send the money when you know the postage costs to include. Our address is 1160 Stiarna Court Arnold, Maryland 21012 USA
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Cadman-iac

CLC# 32373

Stinson

Looks like I still need the "R" for the one in my original post above. I was once told that during assembly in the 30's when they ran out of an item they used what was available at the time. So, wondering if I had an odd set. But because of the holes in the liner now I hope to find the same mount.

Where-oh-were-can-it-be!

I told you it was "lost" being polite. But in fact it was stolen by a very well known restoration person in the area who used it on another client's car. He gave me some odd broken mount in a plastic bag attached to my visor saying that it was mine - he also swiped out my NOS V-12 oil caps and new distributor cap and rotor. My witness has died so it would be my word vs his - if you knew who this person is I doubt you would believe me. Okay, finally got that off my chest.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

tmdeturck

Ty, there is a gentleman by the name of Pat in New York who has a pair of visors, with one of the mounts, on ebay for a 37 series 75:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Cadillac-Sun-Visor-set-of-2-Fleetwood/303850881763?hash=item46beec82e3:g:WegAAOSw7GFgBDmM

I've bought a few bits from him recently and found him easy to work with, and he accepts offers.  Maybe send him a message and see if he can read the numbers off the bracket for you?

Terry
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

Stinson

Many thanks Terry, I have contacted Pat and hope he will return my call soon.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

harvey b

Harvey Bowness

Stinson

Thanks Harvey, the bracket on the set of sun visors having only one mount shown is exactly like the one I need. Now the question is if it is an "L" or an "R". Or does that make a difference. Mine is TO6357L. Hope to find out today.
Ty
Ty Stinson
CLC22330