News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Thinking about selling my 1940 Cadillac series 60

Started by iggy4581, January 16, 2021, 03:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iggy4581

What is the market bringing now a days.  Its not a pristine car more of a driver.  Not an all original car but a nice driver.  Paint is in good shape.  Was repainted about 6 years ago.  Interior about 6 years ago and in good shape.  Runs, drives, shifts and brakes good.  Chrome was also redone about 6 years ago.  Original Engine and Trans also gone through about 6 years ago.  Any help on what the market is bringing now a days is much appreciated.  Thank you for your time
Ignazio Libreri

chrisntam

I can't specifically help you, but I can generally help you.

Look at recently sold cars similar to yours from auctions, eBay and other online sales.

Look at valuation guides (Hagerty, Kelly Blue Book etc., though some values I think may be optimistic.

Best of luck with your decision to keep or sell your car.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Big Fins

I would say if you have the room to keep it protected, keep the car. It costs very little to tag and insure it. Once you sell it, unless you have no room or really are getting strapped for cash, you will regret that decision. My butt is full of black and blue bruises from kicking myself for selling quite a few of my cars.

That's a pretty car worthy of keeping.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

z3skybolt

Since wrecking my LaSalle last summer I have been watching for and chasing every 38 thru 41 Cadillac or Lasalle that I hear about.  I have  considered five different vehicles, driven over 3,000 miles looking at offerings, bid on two and made a serious effort to purchase a third.  The "drivers "of this vintage, which I have come across are struggling to sell above $20,000.00. The pre-war market sadly is in a soft decline and is unlikely to ever recover. My comments are based on personal experience and are not to be taken as expert opinion.

Those facts make me sad as I retain a love for the pre-war cars.  Hopefully one as nice as my 1940 LaSalle will come available his spring.

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

35-709

Bob,
You might want to contact these folks.  This '40 Cadillac coupe was owned by a local (Vero Beach, FL) CLC member who, because of his age, sold his entire collection to them.  This is one of 2 left from his collection and from what little I know, it is in excellent overall condition except for needing radiator repair (or a new one).

https://www.rosnermotorsports.com/searchused.aspx?Type=U&Year=1940&Make=Cadillac&Model=COUPE%2062

Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

z3skybolt

Thank you Geoff,

I will contact them for further information.  I never knew how exceptional my 5227 was until the search for a replacement began. I do appreciate your help.

Bob R.

iggy4581

First wanted to thank everyone for the info.  I was thinking of selling for around $17k.  I know that might be a stretch.  Mostly selling because ill be losing the garage and have no time to enjoy it anymore. 
Ignazio Libreri

z3skybolt

Iggy,

I have sent you a personal message via this forum.  Hope to hear from you.

Bob R.

cadillac ken

$17K sounds like a very fair price.  Problem is, as mentioned, there is what seems to me to be a significantly waning interest in the big pre-war 4 doors-- and even the coupes.

I tend to think this type of car is too archaic for most 30 somethings that may have the $$ but have been raised on things like PS, PW, PB, A/C, etc. 

I recently bought a prewar car that the 30 something delivery guy had no idea how to start, shift (column shift), or drive off of the car carrier.  In fact the seller warned me that the guy may as well have been looking at it like a UFO and not a car and I had better be there when he delivers it.

But as I often say, you only need one buyer.  And to be sure that buyer is out there.
Best of luck, Ken

Big Fins

I'd like to know how the driver loaded it, if he had no idea how to remove it from the racks?

Generally, the driver loads and unloads his own transport. If he loaded it, it may not have a clutch left. And if employed by a company, he should have never been allowed to have access to a vehicle in which he had no knowledge of its operation.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

cadillac ken

Quote from: Big Fins on January 26, 2021, 02:57:58 AM
I'd like to know how the driver loaded it, if he had no idea how to remove it from the racks?

Generally, the driver loads and unloads his own transport. If he loaded it, it may not have a clutch left. And if employed by a company, he should have never been allowed to have access to a vehicle in which he had no knowledge of its operation.

The seller of the car had contacted me as he himself had to drive the car onto the transport trailer for it's trip to me-- therefore the "warning".
The transporter guy was an independent and a very nice guy.  Just too young to know. He mostly carried newer cars.

But to be sure, it certainly speaks volumes of the future of our hobby.

Regards, Ken