News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Looking for Information on 1976 Eldorados convertibles

Started by Larry Savino, January 17, 2021, 11:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Savino

Well let me say its been a long hard YEAR. This year I hope to purchase a 1976 QUALITY Eldorado Convertible .it doesn't need to be perfect just a quality Sunday/ Fireman car show car I  can tinker with . I am interested in knowing what options there were, and who is every one getting parts from .

76eldo

I’ve owned a few of these cars. Currently I have my black one that just hit 100,000 miles but was so well maintained by the original owners that it feels like a 30,000 mile car.

My advice to you would to buy a really nice one that has already had the bumper fillers replaced. Bumper fillers are the plastic extensions on the rear quarters and front fenders that were originally designed by GM to flex and return to their original shape on minor impacts. The federal 5 mph bumper rules of the 70’s.

GM made them out of a urathane material that failed and crumbled so most of the cars have had these replaced with an ABS product.

These cars are a real bargain in my opinion as compared to other cars of the era.
Be prepared to spend north of $10,000 to get a nice car and about $15,000 for  a fantastic one.  If you spend $5000 to $10,000 you may find a decent car but look for rust or prior rust repair, interior issues, cracked lower door panels and malfunctioning HVAC items.  It’s been said here before that the cheapest ones will be the most expensive in the long run.

Good luck in your hunt.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

Is there a reason you say 76 specifically?   71-76 were very similar cars overall so I assume its mostly about the look?  If its the look Im curious what about the 76 is it over say a 75 which is really similar.  I can see if you really like a 76 that you may not like a 73 because the lines while similar have a different feel due to the lack of skirts and then there are the changes to the lighting that also have quite an effect on low things look and flow.

There were more 76's made and saved but since you are looking for a convert those I think got saved in higher numbers the other years too over the hardtops.  I would guess there are 2 or 3 times more 71-75's out there than 76's. 

Eldo's had a lot of stuff standard that whole run so its not like one year in this range was more likely to have some option than another and other than EFI there wasn't really any super amazing option that would really make you choose one car over another because there will likely be other factors much more important like price, condition, or location.   There were a decent number of 76's with EFI so its likely you will run across a couple if you are really out there searching.  I don't think at this point it has a huge effect on value.  In theory it is more valuable but enough people don't want the extra complexity so it could actually hurt to the point that I would expect it to be a wash in most cases. 

Even thought the FWD is unique I can't think of anything that often wears that you can't get from typical parts stores.  For body and interior stuff its the same as any other Cad with very little being reproduced.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Speaking for myself. I would stay well away from the early EFI, unless you or a system knowledgeable person you know is willing to deal with it.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: 35-709 on January 17, 2021, 01:31:03 PM
Speaking for myself. I would stay well away from the early EFI, unless you or a system knowledgeable person you know is willing to deal with it.

+1.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

hornetball

'71 through '74 did not have catalytic converters.  I prefer those.  +1 on EFI.  A well-tuned QJ is just as responsive and efficient as the EFI in top tune, with a lot less external complexity.

They're good cars.  Buy the best one you can afford.  That ends up being the least expensive and most satisfying route.

winger888

A lot of these 14000 convertibles produced that year (1976) disappeared as collector items because they were officially the last convertibles ever produced. There are still some low mileage vehicles out there.

I was lucky enough to find a Bicentennial (the last 200 of the 14000) with only 690 miles on the clock last year. #195 of 200. It rides like a brand new car and I am the most happy camper one can imagine.
76 Eldorado Bicentennial
79 Lincoln Town Car Collectors Series

jdemerson

Quote from: hornetball on January 17, 2021, 04:58:52 PM
'71 through '74 did not have catalytic converters.  I prefer those.  +1 on EFI.  A well-tuned QJ is just as responsive and efficient as the EFI in top tune, with a lot less external complexity.

They're good cars.  Buy the best one you can afford.  That ends up being the least expensive and most satisfying route.

I agree with Mr. Price, though the differences among years are slight and the quality of a particular car is the overriding consideration. In a very subjective area, I prefer the round headlights and the grill and bumper treatment of the 1972s to that of 1973 (grill and bumper) and 1975-76 (rectangular headlights). But all that said, a well-preserved 1976 Convertible is an exceedingly impressive and desirable car! Good luck.
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

76eldo

It seems like there are more 76’s around because they made 14,000 and as noted many were held as investments and not driven.

I’m jealous of the 690 mile Bicentennial find for sure. They tend to be very expensive and always need fillers, heater cores and radiator recore jobs because the coolant becomes toxic.

Even still, I’d love to have one.

My favorite as far as styling is the 71. Very tough to find in nice shape.
I had one and recently sold it because I purchased a 73 Pace Car convertible last year.
Storage is an issue and something had to go.

Really if you are looking for a Big Eldo convertible there are a lot to choose from and you can’t go wrong with one of these cars if you buy a good one.

If you see rust keep on looking. A nice interior is also important because it’s very expensive to re do these. If the upper door panels are split or torn they are easily fixed but if the lower door panels are split they are trash and you will have to find used ones and dye them to match.

Good luck in tour search.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

David Fleming

I bought a 76 convertible eldorado at the Southebys Auction this last spring.  only 13k miles on it.  I LOVE it.  I had to replace the bumper fillers because after I started driving it every day, they started to crack.  I think thats a pretty common problem if you drive your car much.  I use mine as my daily driver.  I have other vehicles I can drive and I try not to drive my cadillac if its raining however, I dont treat it as a museum piece.  I bought it to enjoy.  Hopefully it will last me several years.  I only put about 6k miles on my vehicles each year anyway.  Enjoy it!

Larry Savino

Thank you every one for your replies, Why a 76 ? It's the newest full size Cadillac convertible. Thank you again for your input. Does any one have an option list or know where I can find one. I am interested in what was standard and what some one had to order and pay extra for.  I want a 76 and my wife wants a 84 as it would take up less room .

76eldo

The 76 is a much better choice because the 84 has a very small back seat and the dreaded HT4100 engine with many problems.

The 500 in the 76 is basically bullet proof.

Popular options would  include

Tilt/telescopic steering column
Cruise control
Rear defog in back window
Power trunk release and pull down
Twilight Sentinel headlight control
Auto high beam dimming (Guidematic)
Radio with or without 8 track and or CB
Carpeted floor mats
Door edge guards
AC was standard I believe.

May be a few more I am forgetting.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

hornetball

Here's a link to GM heritage for Cadillac.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

Unfortunately, they only keep data up to 1974.  However, 1974 is close enough to 75-76 to give you a good idea of standard equipment and options on these cars.

This website is also pretty good:

http://automotivemileposts.com/eldorado/eldo1976selections.shtml

35-709

To reiterate what Brian Rachlin said, you DO NOT want an '84 --- at any price!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

Your wife has a valid concern about the size.   The 70's cars pretty much take up all the space in a typical garage, you are lucky to have room to walk around one end with the door closed so it can really impact the use of your garage.  I have my 73 in all summer and its a tight squeeze to get past it and even access the shelves along one side of it.   In the winter we have a fox mustang there and its almost like not having a car at all.   Plenty of room to walk around the front and sides as well as room to park the snowblower behind it and still leave room to walk.   

But saying all that I don't think I would choose an 84.   Love the body style.  I drove my 73 and an 80 at the same time and I think divers comfort wise the 80 was much more comfortable and I'm 6'2".  I think there is actually more leg room in the 80.  Sure the back seat is smaller but if you need a back seat for full size people a 2 door convertible isn't really the style of car you should be looking at.   If you maybe don't mind the 84 style and that is what your wife wants maybe look for a Riviera.  They seem to be around,  I actually see more of those for sale than Cads.   I believe all the coverts came with the Olds 307/5.0 with a 4bbl.  Fairly old school and reliable.   Maybe V6 was possible too but even that had a 4bbl. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

V63

50/50 front seat is a fantastic option. I have owned numerous EFI versions and I think they are wonderful, extremely smooth...noticeable performance enhancement too. Mercedes had the system 72-4. I had a 73 107 SL with that EFI too.  The fuel pumps do NOT like alcohol fuel blends!!!

James Landi

Larry--- I've owned a 72, and have also owned an 84,  85 convertible and an '83 Eldorado coupe-- all  with the "dreaded 4100."  If you can find a 79 or 80 "converted" convertible, you'll have a rock solid engine in the downsized body with a convertible top-- they are around, but as stated several times above, make sure to purchase a car with ALL systems functioning, no rust, and specific evidence that ALL fluids have been changed. My 72 looked to have perfectly green and clean coolant--but as state above, it was very acidic, and the freeze plugs had to be changed (requiring the engine to come out).  I so loved my 85 convertible , that I had a small block Olds (260 cid) put in to replace my second 4100 that died-- this was done by a friend, and even with the "good guy" discount, it was not cheap.  The large '71-'76 are truly very different cars-- in every respect.  They provide an impressive heavy car smooth ride, and if all systems work, including the rear air shocks and the tires are inflated to factory spec, your driving experience is just amazing--- and if a smaller car is you and your wife's desire, I'd search for one of the downsized 79 or 80 model year with the good old reliable GM engine.  Hope this helps,  James

Larry Savino

Quote from: hornetball on January 23, 2021, 10:07:59 AM

This website is also pretty good:

http://automotivemileposts.com/eldorado/eldo1976selections.shtml

This is the info I was looking for, I had seen it before and could not find it again. I hate to admit it but a 1976 eldo has been a dream of mine forever ,I just never acted on it. I have had, Mustangs, Devilles, Corvettes and more Corvettes. I need 2 more cars, I need to find a restore a 70 to 72 chevelle convertible for my daughter before I am too old to restore it, And this year I hope to find my self a Nice Quality 76 Eldo to tinker with , and yes a perfect one would be a low milage one bicentennial one of the 200 but its not the biggest concern . Thank you every one again