News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado front end shimmy at 30 mph?

Started by south280, January 18, 2021, 09:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

south280

Hi,  When my eldorado reaches 30mph the front end starts to shimmy especially the driver's side and goes away at 40 mph.  Do I need a wheel alignment?  tire balancing?  The car has 1200 orig miles, I drive the car about 2 miles a week and the tires are about 3 years old.   Any advice would be great  Thanks
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Bicentennial Edition
1930 Model A Ford Station Wagon
1968 Mercedes 280 sl

76eldo

I’d get the front wheels balanced.
Be forwarded that you need specific CAX style wheel weights which have a special drop down tab that leaves room for the hub caps to grab.
Also I would remove and replace the hubcaps on your own because of the possibility of some dumb kid mistreating your very special white caps.

Also mark which rim the cap came off of worn a sharpie on the rear of the cap. They are a fussy fit.
Make sure they are tapped in all the way with a rubber mallet and try to pull them off by hand to make sure that they are on tight enough.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

David King (kz78hy)

It seems simple, but ensure your tire pressure is inflated to specs.  My old Aurora would shimmy when the tire pressure dropped low and that was signal to fill up the tires...damned aluminum wheels and wheel to tire corrosion.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

hornetball

2 miles a week?  That's abusive.  You need to at least get the oil up to temperature on every drive if you can.  You are also never bringing the tires up to temperature, so you can expect them to be out of round.

TJ Hopland

Ya hopefully that 2 miles was a typo,  that is a real short trip. 

These are real sensitive to the tire balance so you need a good shop with a good machine and a good tech,  2 out of 3 is pretty tough these days so not a lot of chance of finding all 3 in the same place.    The CAX weights seem to really help over trying to just use inside weights but stick on ones stuck on by a good tech should work too 

Have someone have a good look at the CV axles,  boots and lube could have failed at which point it doesn't take many miles to destroy them.    Originally one of them had what they called a torsional damper in it which is about the size of a soda can and contains rubber.  Most of them got removed long before now so we don't really know what they are like at this age but maybe it has failed and is causing this issue.   That damper was why there was originally a left and right shaft listed otherwise they are the same. 

These cars are also really hard on lower ball joints and wheel bearings.  Sure you apparently got low miles but this may be a case where the low miles is hurting things because of all the sitting.   Wheel bearings are easy to check just jack the wheel off the ground and see if it wiggles.   Ball joints are a little harder to check but not really different from any other car.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason