News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac quarter mystery what is authentic

Started by Carmambo, January 23, 2021, 11:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmambo

All hands on deck!  I am restoring a 59 series 62 convertible.  I am grafting patch panels onto the existing quarters.   The very end of the quarters that form a question Mark when viewing from the rear without the bumper, are not making sense.  Mine are original to the car and have a convoluted edge!  This means that in the gap that is formed between the bumper and quarter edge in any 59,  mine curve back inward to th e front of the car creating a bead (see picture with black paint).  I purchase both an original desert quarter and a fabricated panel off eBay.   Both of these have an edge that is a straight 90 degrees. (See pic with white paint).  Could I appeal the good nature of the community to check the gap on their 59 to help figure what is right? I think it is possible that the bumper was pushed in,  in an accident that uniformly formed the convoluted bead on both sides. Please Help!
C.F.

Carmambo

Sorry send pic did not load off of desert quarter piece here it is.  Both of these pics were taken in the same spot
C.F.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Black quarter looks strange - never seen one like that but it doesn't appear to the the result of collision damage either.

Fairing edge of white quarter what every one I've ever seen looks like.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Carmambo

Thank you for your reply Eric.  I took the Q off the bumper and it fits perfectly into the recess (see pic)   I am becoming more convinced after viewing some creases and anomalies in the trunk area that the bumper got pushed in.   Another thing that always bothered me about this car was I could see the edge of the pinch weld in the gap.  If I adjusted the bumper in to cover it than the Q did not align with the taillight chrome.  I measured this just now and the pinch weld is also pushed into the trunk area by 1/2 of an inch compared to the desert quarter.  I am more inclined to bust out the porta-power now.
C.F.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Now that's much clearer than the first image!  There's no doubt way the metal got folded in is the result of collision damage.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Carmambo

It is evident the owner of this car had a repaint done in the 80s.  there was definite  damage to the dog leg up by the door, by evidence of 30 holes drilled into it and a slide hammer and 3/8 of an inch of bondo.  The quarter was pushed in toward the frame just at the rear of the skirt as well and at least a 1/4 of bondo to straighten the quarter for black paint.  My point being,  the damage caused by the bumper did not warrant fixing because it is not that noticeable or the body shop didn't see it.   I have been powering out all these areas and they are responding well to a straight edge.  God bless people like you Eric and the rest of the community for taking your time to help people like me.  There are not many of these cars left an less people who care to work on them. I will make a final post if I work it out to a factory edge.
C.F.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I realise that this is not a '59, but a '60, but the area should be very similar to both models, albeit the overall shape is different.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

gkhashem

Yes my car is now in the hands of another on this board but that edge is authentic. It is like a bevel that slopes in so the bumper could go over it.

Although I would not like to hit something and test it. Maybe this was an assembly thing to help prevent a scratch or ding on assembly at the factory? So the bumper would be a bit larger than the quarter making assembly faster and to avoid some potential damage on the assembly line.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)