News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Has anyone worked with a vintage license plate restoration company?

Started by Andrew Trout, January 26, 2021, 11:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Trout

To elaborate on the subject, I'm looking to get a pair of vintage New York State plates for my car. Some that are for sale on eBay are in rough shape and not something I'd want to put on the car. There are several places online that handle restoration, with varying costs and turnaround times. I'm wondering if anyone has personal or second-hand experience with one.

Thanks!
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

5390john

Andrew:
You could check out www.oregonplates.com
I Attached photos of the Oregon plates I got from them, before and after.
Don't know if they do anything besides state of Oregon plates, you would have to reach out to them.
Hope this helps
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Abe Lugo

Get the plates you need, make sure they are clear to use.
Then find a local sign painter ( That still does hand painted signage).
They usually are good at refreshing/restoring paint on License plate.
Its usually in the 150-200 dollar range.

Maybe just find a local sign painter first??

Restoration shops are just gonna farm it out to painter. Passing the savings onto you, right?
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

artdan

1957 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Continental Mark II
1960 Corvette
1956 Thunderbird (sold)
1965 Buick Riviera (sold)
1975 Datsun 280 Z (sold)

signart

I just happen to be a sign painter and license plate collector/trader as part of my eclectic hobbies. I have restored or painted well over a hundred plates. Traded and sold hundreds.

My Caddy with correct state shaped plate for my county (58) Tennessee state shaped plates are very desirable, some years and counties are rare and more desirable.
Art D. Woody

39LaSalleDriver

I found one for my county on Ebay and did it myself. Only later did I discover that in those days, Tennessee issued two plates.  >:( Maybe some day I'll upgrade and see if I can find a matched pair.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

Chuck Swanson

I had my NY ones done here:
https://www.finishyourplates.com
Brian does excellent work

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

D.Smith

Another option is to have the plate you want reproduced. 

I have used this company a few times.  The plates are metal and the same quality as original.

https://www.licenseplates.tv/new-york-174.html?Url=new-york-174.html&sort=20a&page=4

The plate for my 61 was shot.  I was very pleased with the results.  They are 99.9% spot on accurate.

Chuck Swanson

Nice, looks like on their site they just need to correct some of the fonts,  for example the NY "6" looks closer to the original CT "6", and some are thinner in different years for NY.  Otherwise another option, especially if you have none.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Andrew Trout

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a set of plates my Dad purchased several years ago that the NYS DMV rejected as the number is currently in use. I found a set on eBay that the seller says is clear to use, called the DMV to confirm, and purchased the plates right then and there. The eBay seller also guarantees the plates for 30 days after purchase. Regardless, I mailed in the paperwork this morning. Based on the turn around time from my first effort, I should get the approval back in two weeks or so.

As for restoration: The set I purchased are in fair condition. No severe or damage, just chipped paint and a little bit of surface rust. The restoration places I've found and others have linked to are quoting more than I value to restore the plates at this point. I think I could put that money to better use elsewhere on the car.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

J. Gomez

Quote from: Andrew Trout on January 27, 2021, 10:15:28 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a set of plates my Dad purchased several years ago that the NYS DMV rejected as the number is currently in use. I found a set on eBay that the seller says is clear to use, called the DMV to confirm, and purchased the plates right then and there. The eBay seller also guarantees the plates for 30 days after purchase. Regardless, I mailed in the paperwork this morning. Based on the turn around time from my first effort, I should get the approval back in two weeks or so.

As for restoration: The set I purchased are in fair condition. No severe or damage, just chipped paint and a little bit of surface rust. The restoration places I've found and others have linked to are quoting more than I value to restore the plates at this point. I think I could put that money to better use elsewhere on the car.

Andrew,

If you are handy with the traditional rattle spray paint you can DIY restoring the plates. If the ones you have are the black and yellow type I restore mine that way the best yellow for the letter/numbers is the “Caterpillar yellow” which is a perfect match. I found the yellow spray paint at a local TSC store, not sure if there is one in the NY area.

The tricky part would be applying the paint to the raise letters/numbers wet sanding them after the black paint is applied.
You can tape them around and apply the yellow or you can apply wet paint over a sheet of glass the press the plate over the wet sheet. This will just paint the raise area around the letters/numbers leaving the black on the side of the raised letters/numbers.   ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Andrew Trout

Quote from: J. Gomez on January 27, 2021, 12:15:07 PM
Andrew,

If you are handy with the traditional rattle spray paint you can DIY restoring the plates. If the ones you have are the black and yellow type I restore mine that way the best yellow for the letter/numbers is the “Caterpillar yellow” which is a perfect match. I found the yellow spray paint at a local TSC store, not sure if there is one in the NY area.

The tricky part would be applying the paint to the raise letters/numbers wet sanding them after the black paint is applied.
You can tape them around and apply the yellow or you can apply wet paint over a sheet of glass the press the plate over the wet sheet. This will just paint the raise area around the letters/numbers leaving the black on the side of the raised letters/numbers.   ;)

Good luck..!

I watched a few videos on people restoring plates last night, and it seems to be sandblast, straighten/correct the metal, prime, paint the plate, paint raised surfaces, clear coat. For painting the raised surfaces most people use a bridge and brush to hand paint. My main concern with brush painting on the raised surfaces would be getting the paint to lay flat so you don't see brush marks. The glass sheet technique you're describing looks to be a great way to provide a flat, smooth look.

I may give it a whirl after the driving season this year. If I totally mess it up, I can always send it out to get fixed.

Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

J. Gomez

Quote from: Andrew Trout on January 27, 2021, 12:48:25 PM
I watched a few videos on people restoring plates last night, and it seems to be sandblast, straighten/correct the metal, prime, paint the plate, paint raised surfaces, clear coat. For painting the raised surfaces most people use a bridge and brush to hand paint. My main concern with brush painting on the raised surfaces would be getting the paint to lay flat so you don't see brush marks. The glass sheet technique you're describing looks to be a great way to provide a flat, smooth look.

I may give it a whirl after the driving season this year. If I totally mess it up, I can always send it out to get fixed.

8)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bill stoneberg

I use a had rubber roller that is found at Hobby Lobby to paint the raised letters. Put the paint on a sheet of glass and load up the roller and then go over the raised letters and numbers.
This is the way they used to do ink for printing. When the plates were originally made the plates used to go under a similar roller on a conveyer to do the same thing.
Bill Stoneberg

1980 Coupe De Ville

Abe Lugo

If the plates are in fair.  Maybe try some nufinsh polish clean them up.  But be careful on the letters.  That may make them burn through on the paint. 
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG