News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Distributor installation on a 41 Series 60

Started by Ohjai, January 27, 2021, 04:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohjai

If a distributor is installed one gear tooth off, and the cap wiring is moved one space to compensate for the mis-alignment of the distributor, will the car have a rough idle?

thanks

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

Bobby B

Quote from: Ohjai on January 27, 2021, 04:30:06 PM
If a distributor is installed one gear tooth off, and the cap wiring is moved one space to compensate for the mis-alignment of the distributor, will the car have a rough idle?

Absolutely Not, but you might be out of range of adjustment. Most people know it's off because the advance/hand line winds up against the firewall and can't go any further. If you get it started, get out your timing light to check it. Why not just set it in properly and be done with it? You did it once, you could do it again. It's not a difficult job, plus the cap /wires follow the factory sequence. Good Luck!
                                                         Blobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

wheikkila

Hi Jim
I agree with Bobby. Set the distributor correctly now. It will most likely save you a headache down the road. Be there done that.
Thanks Wayne 

Ohjai

Thanks Bobby and Wayne.  This is a car we were looking at, the owner said it had a vibration and had the idle set at about 1000 RPM.  The car is hard to start with a vibration at speed.  The owner before him had rebuilt the engine.  I did not purchase the car.

I was looking the the pictures I was given and noticed the distributor was different than my 41 that runs fine.
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

harvey b

That sounds like a timing issue,if its not set to factory specs it will not run smooth,might just need a good tuneup.would be fun to troubleshoot it,i love getting to the bottom of something like this. 8) Good Luck  harveyb
Harvey Bowness