News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

X frame question

Started by 5960Special, July 06, 2020, 05:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5960Special

Hello all,
For my own random trivia knowledge, are there any differences in the frames used for roofed cars vs convertibles for specifically 1959-60 cars or generally for the years the X frame was used? Was additional support used for the convertibles? Thank you for your help!
Steve
Steve Ehrin

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1989 Cadillac Fleetwood SDN
2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon

Clewisiii

Short answer yes and the Service manuals show the differences between the frames.  I am not near mine currently to take a photo.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

cadillac ken

My 1958 Biarritz has a 1/2" x 1 1/2"(? didn't measure it) piece of flat steel stock welded to the bottom of the frame from the factory.

The fact that this piece of steel flat stock was not present caused me to walk on a 1958 Convertible that I looked at.  I suspected a convertible body (maybe even a coupe made into a convertible) that was not on a convertible frame.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Also, remember that the steel in the Convertible, especially in the sills is stronger, and supplements the Chassis in rigidity.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

raugusti

Quote from: cadillac ken on July 07, 2020, 08:03:34 AM
My 1958 Biarritz has a 1/2" x 1 1/2"(? didn't measure it) piece of flat steel stock welded to the bottom of the frame from the factory.

The fact that this piece of steel flat stock was not present caused me to walk on a 1958 Convertible that I looked at.  I suspected a convertible body (maybe even a coupe made into a convertible) that was not on a convertible frame.

I was just looking at these on my convertible last weekend and wondering if it was stock.  The way it was added on made me question it.
Scott
Scott Augustine
Colorado, USA
'58 Series 62 Conv.
'58 Eldorado Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

I can understand you thinking it could have been an afterthought, but from what I have seen under some convertibles, I think they got the Apprentice to perform those tasks.   Some welds have been really horrible.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillac ken

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 07, 2020, 08:41:12 AM
Also, remember that the steel in the Convertible, especially in the sills is stronger, and supplements the Chassis in rigidity.

Very true.  I had to duplicate repair inner "rockers" and as I remember they were 11 gauge steel.  They had to be bent up in a hydraulic press brake.

Clewisiii

Frame looks the same.
Mounts are different
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

5960Special

Thank you all for your replies!
Steve
Steve Ehrin

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1989 Cadillac Fleetwood SDN
2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon

Pomeroy41144

Are the Fleetwood 75s X-frame for 59-60? 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Pomeroy41144 on January 28, 2021, 01:53:09 PM
Are the Fleetwood 75s X-frame for 59-60?

Yes. Commercial Chassis too.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Pomeroy41144

Andrew Trout

'61 Convertible has two small rods that connect from the bottom of the front bumper (were the outer and middle section meet), cross over in an 'x' pattern, and then attach to the back of the crossmember that holds the hood latch. '62 Convertibles don't have them, and some '62 Convertible owners like to jokingly use that as proof their cars are superior.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

64\/54Cadillacking

Was there any differences in rigidity from the hard tops vs the convertibles? For instance more flexing and rattles? BTW anyone that owns an X-frame Cadillac, be it from 1957 all the way thru 64, have any of you noticed problems with how your Caddy rides and drives?

And to the ones that have owned multiple different Cadillacs from different decades, how would they compare?

Riding smoothness.
Noise/Vibration/Harshness.
Handling.
Tightness.
Quietness.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I've found 61-64 quieter and more resistant to interior rattles than 59/60 but otherwise drive & handle similarly. Basically a refined 59/60. Some of this is attributable to the extra sound deadening material and single exhaust that began in '61.

A 59/60 can become quite a bucket of bolts depending on how it was treated throughout its life- especially if the car had a frame off restoration in which case they are almost never the same.

Reviewers back in the day noted slight frame resonance @ around 60 MPH but disappeared at speeds above and below that which is consistent with my experience. This applies to all years of the X frame 59-64.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

The Tassie Devil(le)

The one thing that separates the closed car from the Convertible is in the amount of material used in the critical areas to replace the roof.

The Sills are either made out of thicker metal, and in most cases, have internal bracing within the sill box section.   I have seen a GM Convertible that had an additional section of steel travelling the full length of the bottom of the sill, and this only increased the height of said sill by about 5/8".

My '55 Chev Convertible had a totally different chassis than the sedan, with a huge "X" Member, and yet it still flexed.

I have looked at other makes, and each uses different methods to counter the roof removal, and the Convertible is always a lot heavier.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe