News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Superbowl Spoiler Cadillac EV

Started by Abe Lugo, January 27, 2021, 07:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abe Lugo

this was just shared..

Credit: GM
General Motors will push its electric vehicle ambitions with two Super Bowl adsâ€"one for Cadillac and another corporate spot that continues its approach of pushing EVs for the masses.
The 60-second Cadillac ad is from Leo Burnett and will plug the Lyriq, a crossover that marks the luxury brand’s first electric vehicle that is expected to hit dealers in the first half of 2022. The 60-second corporate spot is from McCann Worldgroup and will continue the automaker’s “Everybody In” campaign that debuted in early January, aiming to raise awareness for electric vehicles by plugging them as fun, clean and safe, while pushing GM’s proprietary Ultium battery platform. GM has said it would invest $27 billion toward electric and autonomous vehicle development and launch 30 EVs through 2025.
Global Chief Marketing Officer Deborah Wahl in an interview declined to share creative details for the ads. The corporate spot is expected to include Will Ferrell. (The Wall Street Journal first reported the actor's inclusion). The Cadillac ad seems to be poised to have some sort of Edward Scissorhands theme, based on a scene of the ad shared by the automaker (above) that sparked speculation that it resembles a fictional neighborhood shown in the 1990 movie.
“This year’s spot will surprise and delight audiences by transporting an iconic piece of pop-culture history into the future and will feature Lyriq, Cadillac’s first, all-electric vehicle as well as Super Cruise, the industry’s first true hands-free driver assistance feature for enabled roads,” Cadillac CMO Mellisa Grady said in a statement.
Wahl  positioned the spots as continuing the automaker’s messaging that it launched at CES that EVs are for everyone, no matter the income level or lifestyle.
“I believe that message has to be reinforced and there is no bigger stage than the Super Bowl to do that,” Wahl says. “We really want to make sure a wide group of people understand what EVs can bring.”
GM is only the second automaker to publicly confirm its Super Bowl plans, following Toyota. Hyundai, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen and Ford are among the brands that have said they have no plans to run ads in the game. Kia and Jeep owner Stellantis (formerly Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) have not commented on their plans. (Online auto retailer Vroom is also running an ad, which it released on Jan. 12.)

But barring any last-minute surprises, the auto category seems set for an unusually low presence in the game. In the 2020 Super Bowl, six automakers consumed a total of seven minutes and 30 seconds of airtime, spending an estimated $77 million on media buysâ€"more than any other category, according to Kantar. The category’s recent high-water mark came in 2018, when 11 auto brands ran ads.

Citing COVID, Wahl acknowledged that “this has been a more challenging year to actually produce new content.” GM, she said, shot its Super Bowl ads in greater Los Angeles and was fortunate to finish the shoots prior to early January, when the rising COVID caseload in Los Angeles promoted industry warnings about continuing ad shoots. “We were talking to other brands to understand how everyone is and how they are doing on content, and I know it was a scramble for many,” Wahl says.

During its ad shoots, GM mandated daily COVID testing, minimized the number of people on set and was “relentless about masks and distancing,” Wahl says. “Everything was done to protect the talent, protect the teams that were working on it, [and] keep everyone either separated physically or virtually,” she says.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

James Landi

Thank you Abe for these  amazing insights.   Most of us recall Cadillac marketing from "yesteryear" --- a much simpler time, when Cadillac division had just two  competitors, and foreign car sales hardly registered, save for VW. EV is in our future, and for those of us of my age (75), the shock of "The New," is unsettling, but we must press on especially in the knowledge that as our old v8's last into the future, their intrinsic significance as historical icons amplifies.   Again, thank you for the comprehensive post.   James

Cadillac Jack 82

Call me a young "old school" guy but this whole push for electronic cars doesn't interest me and I believe its being pushed by inside businessmen.   I'll keep to my dinosaur fuels thanks...
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Abe Lugo

Tim,
I feel the same- I didnt want this to become an EV vs oil debate. But I do believe we only have a solid 10 years to grip our nails into our Gasoline.
I'll be looking a CNG conversion in 5-10 years! They make rules for us not to drive our old cars.

Meanwhile we Cadillac Design will pretty much be this and forward.  I personally like the old Ciel and Escala Concepts, seeing that in EV would be really cool.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

Anderson

Quote from: James Landi on January 28, 2021, 08:19:57 AM
Thank you Abe for these  amazing insights.   Most of us recall Cadillac marketing from "yesteryear" --- a much simpler time, when Cadillac division had just two  competitors, and foreign car sales hardly registered, save for VW. EV is in our future, and for those of us of my age (75), the shock of "The New," is unsettling, but we must press on especially in the knowledge that as our old v8's last into the future, their intrinsic significance as historical icons amplifies.   Again, thank you for the comprehensive post.   James
Well, and VW could hardly be said to be a competitor for the luxury market.  Arguably the Beetle was sneaking in below Chevy's offerings (the Karmann Ghia being a quirky offering that went up-market a bit).

As to the initial post...one thing I've been having trouble telling is whether by GM going "all electric" they mean "no internal combustion at all" or something more like "all vehicles will be either electric or hybrid".

(It will also be interesting to see where GM's vehicle ranges end up...acceptable range at an acceptable price is currently the main issue there for me.  Battery density /is/ improving, but to actually get 300 miles of range right now you're looking at a high-end Tesla as far as I can tell.)

signart

Just plug 'er in when you get home and go. Don't forget to fill your helecopter with de-icer ::)
Art D. Woody

59-in-pieces

Always ready with a different perspective.

Right now we can travel the Nation on a whim, filling up - say every 300+ miles - pump time under 10 minutes, and we are back on our way.

EV's, not so much - not the range - not the recharging stations - average hour for a charge.

Now you might argue that all those issues will be solved in due time.

AHA, but that's not the point.
We are already forced to isolate because of the virus, and in the foreseeable future again from one another by the insidious workings of electronics (no one can fix them) and EV's.

Yes, I am that COVID scraggly long haired guy sitting against the building on the sidewalk with the cardboard sign that reads in large block letters - "THE END IS NEAR", and in little letters below - "OF OUR HOBBY".

Well back to reality, and get out there (with a mask) and polish my soon to be 59 lawn art.

Have fun,
Steve B
S. Butcher