News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recommendations for chrome buffing

Started by Leary75, January 29, 2021, 08:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leary75

So, my bumpers and trim are are badly in need of some TLC.  They are pretty dull, and have some over spray from a previous owner’s paint job,  but have very little pitting or rust.   What do people recommend for buffing polishing and protecting your chrome.  I would want something that can attach to a drill, thinking that will be easier to get into nooks and crannies.  As much as I would like to buy a new tool, if I can avoid it, it would be better for my home life 😆

Thanks in advance !

-Brian
1976 Eldorado Convertible

Abe Lugo

For most of my chrome.  I use brass wool.  The Fine grade with turtle wax chrome cleaner.  That when you have to work out some fine dirt or pits.
If just spot clean then a soft towel and chrome cleaner.   I have to to find a good wax to put over it to preserved the cleanliness.  So you go back to cleaning once again once it gets dirty
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

fishnjim

Don't assess on what it looks like now.  Always start with a clean surface like with paint.
I'd use a solvent like lacquer thinner, acetone, on a rag, to remove the overspray.  If you "rub" off, likely to scratch the plated surface.  Certainly, nothing coarser than 0000 wool.   Then follow up with a good chrome polish.   That'll remove the oxidation.   They quit making what I thought was the best, so polish challenged in this era.   Buff with a dry soft rag and evaluate from there.   
I would not use a machine.  Requires frequent cleaning of the pad or ball to work, plus lots of pad spray to clean up.   I'd only do that if I took them off and could use the buffing wheel.   It's very easy to get a "haze" to the chrome if it's not polished right.
A lot of what you see when it dulls, is the underlayers iron, copper, & nickel oxidizing and coming to the surface.   The chrome is only there to protect the nickel.   Nickle dulls over time.
But everyone has different ideas and limitations on their level of skill, adjust accordingly.

76eldo

I have a 56 T bird getting painted right now.
The front bumper is excellent but the rear bumper seemed dull.
I brought it home from the body shop and put it on my workbench and started taking it all apart and was going to send it out for chrome.
Just for the heck of it I started cleaning it up with 0000 steel wool.
I was amazed at the results and decided not to get it chromed.

The reason to use brass wool or bronze wool is that the little particles that flake off won’t rust so if a part is on the car is use the brass or bronze wool unless you can blow out all the shavings with a compressor.

Follow up with a chrome polish and a coat of wax and you might be amazed.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Leary75

Thanks everyone, too many miracle cures advertised everywhere out there, so I appreciate the feedback.  I am not going to take them off the car, so it sounds like som 0000 brass wool and hand polishing are in my future.   Should be some decent weekend work in the garage while it is cold up here. 
- Brian

harry s

IMO the fine brass or bronze wool and chrome polish does a great job. If you're going to do the trim on the car I would use masking tape to keep from hitting the paint. Good Luck,     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Andrew Trout

I've used Blue Magic metal polish cream (it's blue) on chrome and stainless without issue. Apply with a microfiber cloth, let it get hazy, remove with vigorous buffing action. Both Flitz and Mothers makes a 'buff ball' type attachments for your drill to save your rotator cuff from having to buff out an entire bumper. Thankfully my bumpers are in pretty good shape so only light, regular cleaning is needed and I don't mind doing that by hand.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Leary75

Thanks for all the recommendations.  I ordered some autosol polish, and it should be in this week.    Of course we got a foot of snow, so not the best convertible weather 😆.  Once I get after the bumper, I’ll put up some before and afters.  my local ace carries fine bronze wool so I am going to grab some of that as well. 
-Brian

txturbo

I’ve been using 0000 steel wool on chrome, stainless steel and glass for 45 years and it works great. Removes rust spots,overspray,water spots and water stains. Then you can put something on it to help protect it.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

When I polish my chrome its 0000 steel wool with WD40, the oil keeps it from scratching and will temporarily treat any pitting.
Wipe off the oil and like a previous poster said Blue Magic with a microfiber rag, works great and repels finger prints like no other polish.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Leary75

Thanks Laurie, I may get some time on it today, and I’ll try the wd40 prior to the polish.  Hoping it will take out some minor scratching that is on the rear bumper as well. 
-Brian