News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac announces flying vehicle

Started by Chuck Swanson, January 12, 2021, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Swanson

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

J. Skelly

It's about time for this!  I've been waiting impatiently since The Jetsons in 1962.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

59-in-pieces

I want one - NOW.

No, not the toaster - the one that can fly.
May need some after-burners for the more full figured enthusiasts - as myself.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Abe Lugo

Unfortunately it looks like vehicles for prison to prison travel. 
We can’t get our house in order.  Flying cars are the largest thing on list. 

Where the Cadillac styling?

Then need to make some really nice electric vehicles before diving into this. 

It seems this is a fad like all the self driving cars of 5 years ago.  A lot of those investors are moving on seeing that self driving is taking longer than planned.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

cadillac ken

My guess is the "suits" in charge of such things will deem this a liability nightmare.  It'll never get off the ground.  ;D

PR project like the old Motorama cars used to be.

R S Steven

My wife wants to know if there will be a kit that can be retro fitted to make her 59 Coupe fly.

bcroe

Nearly a century ago, Henry Ford pursued the idea of a cheap airplane for
all like his model T.  After the chief developer was killed in the work, Ford
dropped the idea. 

The general public is only marginally able to safely handle cars, aircraft NO. 
Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

Isn't the new ever delayed version of the Tesla Roadster supposed to have some sort of thrusters sourced from SpaceX on it?   There has been lots of talk about em since Elon 'leaked' that info but I have never heard what they were supposed to actually do.    Its not like that car needs to be able to go any faster.    Maybe its like that 5th wheel spare tire parking deal that lets the car move sideways for parking?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Apple Caddy

Back in the mid-1950s, U.S. auto executives were predicting that the industry would be building family vehicles for space travel and trips to the moon within 50 years.  Anyone take their Cadillac to the moon yet?  For a few spins around the earth?

D.Yaros

Well, at least (for now) it looks different than any other vehicle on the road; which is far more than one can say about the present-day offerings from Cadillac!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

jaxops

Your money will "FLY" out of your wallet!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

cadillac ken

And where and how do you park it?  Like to see it navigate a parking garage.  How about the drive through at the bank. I could go on, but I won't.  ;D

Cadman-iac

Quote from: cadillac ken on January 15, 2021, 09:02:01 AM
How about the drive through at the bank. I could go on, but I won't.  ;D

Lol, that's when banks will begin installing rooftop ATM's.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

I have great respect for dreamers, innovators and futurists who forge progress.

I have a 1960 issue of Motor Trend that predicted flying cars by 1970. So far we’ve gotten twaddle on Twitter and that freakin’  Facebook.

There are safety concerns about the public’s driving ability. Have you seen people walking down the street, so fixated by their phones, that they bump into other pedestrians and light poles, not to mention stepping into traffic? Do we really trust them with six degrees of freedom to crash into anything at any altitude?

If I’m wrong, make mine a “Flightwood” with optional cloaking device to avoid speeding tickets.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Joe G 12138

Actually, GM's been working on this for years. In 1956, Chuck Berry had a Brand new AirMobile; It was a custom-made Flight De Ville. It had a powerful motor, and Highway wings".      "You can't catch me" 1956   I'll try putting up a link to a video.     Joe Gibeault            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jKrHzps0XM

59-in-pieces

Dave,
You are spot on.
If GM wants to excel - they know how to design - so loosen their grip - turn their designers loose.
BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME - Gr8 design, never fails - and it fuels imagination, desire, and sales.
I WANT ONE - could be the new tag line for GM.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: D.Yaros on January 14, 2021, 03:14:42 PM
Well, at least (for now) it looks different than any other vehicle on the road; which is far more than one can say about the present-day offerings from Cadillac!

People, especially older generations and classic car enthusiasts, have been complaining that modern cars of their time "looked too much alike" and/or "lacked style" for ages and have largely had disdain for modern cars of their time for ages.  These sentiments have been expressed generation after generation after generation.  It's nothing new to today's times or today's cars.

I think if the original classic car enthusiasts had their way, we'd all still be driving cars like the (Ford) Model T and Model A instead of cars more like the (Tesla) Model 3 and Model S -- or the Cadillac CT5 and XT6 or upcoming Lyriq and Celestiq (to keep the topic at least somewhat Cadillac-focused).

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on January 22, 2021, 08:56:30 AM
People, especially older generations and classic car enthusiasts, have been complaining that modern cars of their time "looked too much alike" and/or "lacked style" for ages and have largely had disdain for modern cars of their time for ages.  These sentiments have been expressed generation after generation after generation.  It's nothing new to today's times or today's cars.   
The only way to get makers to build cars with style, flair and general good looks is to get rid of the Computer equasion in the designing, and get back to human input.

When a computer is fed the Federal Government requirements, i.e fuel consumption, crashability, occupant protectiveability, size and wind resistances, etc, then the computer is going to spit out virtually identical designs.

The Stylists can't add odds and ends, as these will mostly not be allowed because of safety concerns, especially for pedestrians.

What i would like to know is how are these flying cars going to deal with pedestrian involvement or parking?   At the moment, anything flying has to have a clear area to land/take off, without hitting anything.

Fly a winged vehicle to a friends house, and find out that the "plane park" is full, and the closest landing spot is three miles away.   By the time you got there, to enjoy the dinner, it would all be over.   Oh, and refuelling would be a killer as there would be no gas station at the emergency area.   And speaking of that, when a flying car breaks down, and manages to get safely on the ground, who is there to tow it to the dealer?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on January 22, 2021, 05:43:58 PM
What i would like to know is how are these flying cars going to deal with pedestrian involvement or parking?   At the moment, anything flying has to have a clear area to land/take off, without hitting anything.

Fly a winged vehicle to a friends house, and find out that the "plane park" is full, and the closest landing spot is three miles away.   By the time you got there, to enjoy the dinner, it would all be over.   Oh, and refuelling would be a killer as there would be no gas station at the emergency area.   And speaking of that, when a flying car breaks down, and manages to get safely on the ground, who is there to tow it to the dealer?

Based on today's aviation and safety technologies, infrastructure, etc. it doesn't seem likely that flying cars would ever see any sort of widespread use but who knows what the future holds.  It's civilian and commercial drone regulations, safety, and security issues that are still having to be worked out now.

OliVDB

Quote from: Cadman-iac on January 15, 2021, 11:06:08 AM
Lol, that's when banks will begin installing rooftop ATM's.

That would actually be quite convenient, and would improve the situation with urban traffic worldwide! But I guess that for the first decades after the invention of the first customer-ready flying car, these will only be used by rich, very rich people who will have their direct line with the directors of their local banks and will park their vehicles on helicopter spots on something like the yacht Anna 1 https://arconyachts.com/en/shipyards/feadship/sales/feadship-67m-anna-i, and not on parking spots marked on asphalts like plebeians.