News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Valley cover gaskets-'40-50 series

Started by Jamurray, January 31, 2021, 12:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamurray

I have to replace manifold gaskets anyway, so I want to open the valley cover and look inside. I have used non detergent oil since I got the car in 2014. I would prefer to have used detergent oil if I was certain that was what was used before I got the car, and if the innards look clean, I may start using it. The question: how many gaskets does the valley cover require, 1 or 2?

Jack Murray
2010 DTS
2006 CTS
1940 5067

Jeff Hansen

Jack,

There are two valve compartment covers on top of the engine so you will need two gaskets.  You will also need gaskets for the ventilator housing that attaches to the top of the covers. With one exception, all gaskets are cork.  The exception is the gasket where the ventilator housing seals against the back of the block.  That's a felt gasket.

Jeff

modified by Jeff to add additional information
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan