News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

MAJOR Engine Problem on 2002 Eldorado

Started by Joe O, February 01, 2021, 11:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe O

Upon pulling in driveway, I turned the ignition off and could hear rotation under the hood. Turned the ignition back on and engine ran normally. Then turned ignition back off again and the noise continued. After opening the hood, the engine was rotating in a start condition, continuing until smoke poured out. I assumed the starter burned up.

The car has been giving me intermittent starting problems for quite a while. Rotating the ignition switch would turn on the dash lights, but the engine would not crank. The theft control system on the ignition key has been bypassed. The intermittent starting problem continued but lately has been working fine.

I wonder if there is a connection to this problem - is there a relay or some other control between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe O