News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2001 Cadillac Eldorado ESC is victim of Nor'easter hit n’ run on 02/01/2021

Started by Matt CLC#18621, February 02, 2021, 07:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

2001 Cadillac Eldorado ESC is victim of Nor'easter hit n’ run on February 1, 2021, in Ewing, NJ.

Luckily, Big Brother was watching, and the Perp was caught leaving the scene of the crime on Monday afternoon in his Toyota 4Runner. The Malfeasant lost control of his ride while speeding in the snow. Jumped the curb and went over the sidewalk smashing directly into the Eldorado's frontend, then proceeded to drive over the Eldorado's hood with its bumper, and then continued sideswiping the Eldorado's passenger side. Dude had absolutely no shame whatsoever, never stopped, he just sped away.

Fortunately, the Landlord successfully nailed the Malefactor this morning with his security footage that was captured from his motion video cameras located on the two Frat houses that he owns. Offender turned out to be a neighbor who lives six houses away (no shame) from my son’s Frat house. Later that day/evening, he backed his Toyota 4Runner into his driveway and tried to shield it with another vehicle (no shame).

The Perp told the Police Officer that he was not personally driving his Toyota 4Runner when the accident occurred. However, the 'innocent until proved guilty' Committer volunteered that the 'person' who was 'actually driving' his Toyota 4Runner would pay for all the damage to the Landlord’s property (took out signage, portion of wooden staircase, and shrubs) and pay for all the damage to the Eldorado. The Landlord requested, and the shameless Offender received a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident.

2001 Cadillac Eldorado ESC parts required include:
1) hood & grille,
2) front bumper,
3) right front fender,
4) right front headlight assembly,
5) passenger door mirror, and
6) possibly the passenger door.
This is before the bonnet is lifted and engine compartment damage is assessed and accumulated.

I’m guessing the Culprit’s insurance company is going to attempt to total my son’s recently acquired 2001 Eldorado ESC. My wife and I gifted same to our son as a 2020 Christmas gift. Due to my son’s age, no specialty car insurance, nor did I carry comp or collision due to the size of the insurance premiums given my son’s age.

I recently invested a tidy portion of my 401(k) plan (lmffao) into the mechanics to make sure the Eldorado would be a safe, reliable, worry free and a mechanically sound temporary ride.

Assistance with obtaining parts locally in the NJ/NY/CT/PA quad state region would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

matt 18621
i am 2nd

(postscript: In the last picture, you can see the Dorado at the end of the driveway, immediately after it was assaulted without warning, just minding its own business enjoying its first Nor'easter.)

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hi Matt:

Looking at the amount of damage, I'm almost certain that
the insurance company will total the car.  If you have
receipts for all the $$ you put into it you MAY have some
leverage to negotiate -- especially since your son was
not at fault and it was a "leaving the scene" incident.

My wife had a beautiful 1995 Seville that I had put about
$6k into for repairs, tires, etc. It was her daily driver.  It
was hit in a parking lot with just minor damage to front
bumper, grille, headlight.  State Farm totaled it and gave
me a check for $3k.  The standard insurance companies
(unlike Hagerty and other classic car insurers) just do not
consider the true value of older cars like ours.  Her car was
not yet 25 years old at the time so it did not have an antique
plate.

Good luck,

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

James Landi

All good advice about how much you've spent,etc.-- also, document high end retail sale figures. I fought with an insurance company some years ago --"It's 20 years old, so it's worth $500 retail."  Be prepared, be insistent, and be patient-- clearly, you want the car brought back and fixed appropriately, and that's appropriate.   Good luck, and keep us posted.   James

Dave Shepherd

As a former adjuster,  I would advise, depending  on on the nature of the money spent for previous  work, they could be considered refurbishments rather than maintenance,  this is always a point of contention. If they total the car, you may have first right of refusal to buy it back for the high salvage bid.  A salvage car hit in the rear would be your best source for these parts.

Glen

When another car hit my car and his insurance offered me a fraction of the value of my car, I told them no.  I had the car repaired at my expense and told the insurance company if they did not pay me back I would take their client to court.  I itemized the cost, so they could see there was padding of the bill.  They paid me in full. 
Remember you have no obligation to deal with the other guy’s insurance company.  My expenses were within the limits of small claims court.  If the amount is higher, you have to consider the cost of a lawyer. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104