News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Interesting video comparing the 6.2L CT5V and CT6V 4.2L engines

Started by TJ Hopland, February 04, 2021, 11:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

This video just popped up and I thought it was interesting.   Its going to be at least 20 years before either car could be in my garage but I still thought it was interesting comparing the engines.  The 6.2 is supercharged and pushrods and interesting because its a fairly compact package.   The 4.2 is really interesting because it uses twin twin scroll turbos and the heads are basically flipped so the exhaust/turbos are in the V and the intakes are on the outside.  If you like turbos it seems like that idea has a lot of possible advantages.   

The 4.2 was apparently Cadillac only and just a limited run for the Blackwing cars.   The 6.2 is the LS platform and shared by other cars.   Again you have to wonder why it seems like they put a lot of effort into something that actually works and then cancel it?   I'm guessing it wasn't a cheap engine to build with dual cams and variable valve timing on all but even your econo boxes are starting to come with that technology now so the costs have had to come down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7e4u7bZfKI

Engineering Explained channel and Cadillac's Most Powerful Engine is the title if you don't like clicking on links.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason