News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Super Bowl commercial featuring Cadillac Lyriq

Started by Big Apple Caddy, February 06, 2021, 10:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

Below is a link detailing some of General Motors' EV plans.  Also includes their "No way, Norway" commercial set to air during the Super Bowl.
https://www.gm.com/our-stories/no-way-norway.html

The upcoming Cadillac Lyriq, one of the vehicles featured in the commercial, is expected to be sized between the current XT5 and XT6, closer to the XT5. 

Cadillac Lyriq RWD with 100 kWh (estimate) battery
Base price = $59,995 (estimate)
Range = 300 miles (estimate)
Fuel cost = 4.5 cents per mile at max estimated range (assuming 13.35 cents per kWh)

Cadillac XT5 Luxury FWD with 2.0T 4 cylinder
Base price = $43,995
EPA fuel economy = 22 city/29 highway on premium
Fuel cost = 10.5 cents per mile at max EPA MPG (assuming $3.05/gallon)

Cadillac XT5 Premium Luxury FWD with 3.6L V6
Base price = $49,795
EPA fuel economy = 19 city/26 highway on regular
Fuel cost = 9.5 cents per mile at max EPA MPG (assuming $2.46/gallon)

Cadillac XT6 Luxury FWD with 2.0T 4 cylinder
Base price = $47,995
EPA fuel economy = 21 city/27 highway on premium
Fuel cost = 11.3 cents per mile at max EPA MPG (assuming $3.05/gallon)

Cadillac XT6 Premium Luxury FWD with 3.6L V6
Base price = $52,795
EPA fuel economy = 19 city/26 highway on regular
Fuel cost = 9.5 cents per mile at max EPA MPG (assuming $2.46/gallon)

Harley Earl

Thank you for sharing!

Impressive ad spot.  More important, an IMPRESSIVE looking CADILLAC OFFERING to us all in the Lyriq!  I like the new GM symbol as presented in the ad...

Will be test driving as soon as it is released.  Maybe GM will choose to listen to early EV adopters, actual EV drivers AND us Cadillac folks...like GMs competitors did, many years ago... 

A sense of hope abounds for Cadillac and GM!  Way to go!
Hoping for a Standard Trans Cimarron

Previous
1950 Series 61 Sedan - Savoy Gray
1974 Coupe de Ville - Victorian Amber Firemist
1959 Coupe de Ville - Brenton Blue
And 20 "other" Cadillacs from the 40s to the 80s

Alan Harris CLC#1513

While they are at it, they can leave the landing lights on for Amelia Earhardt. She will come back about the same time they do.

Anderson

Just to point out what I've mentioned elsewhere, but a 300-mile "starting" range is probably closer to 250 miles in practical terms (e.g. presuming that charges aren't quite to 100%/you don't take the tank down to "fumes"), and it declines fairly noticeably over time (though I'm seeing that there are large error bars on this latter point).  The gist I'm seeing is that I'd presume 15-20% battery loss over a 5-6 year ownership cycle, taking those starting figures down closer to 250/200.

(Also, just on the back of an envelope, the fuel savings won't make up for the difference in cost as far as I can tell.  $0.05/mile in savings over a 100,000-mile ownership life is $5,000.  I'll preemptively grant some presumed savings in terms of maintenance in that timeframe, but you're probably not quite to zero there and you've added a good bit of hassle in the interim.)

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Anderson on February 07, 2021, 05:46:17 AM
Just to point out what I've mentioned elsewhere, but a 300-mile "starting" range is probably closer to 250 miles in practical terms (e.g. presuming that charges aren't quite to 100%/you don't take the tank down to "fumes"), and it declines fairly noticeably over time (though I'm seeing that there are large error bars on this latter point).  The gist I'm seeing is that I'd presume 15-20% battery loss over a 5-6 year ownership cycle, taking those starting figures down closer to 250/200.

(Also, just on the back of an envelope, the fuel savings won't make up for the difference in cost as far as I can tell.  $0.05/mile in savings over a 100,000-mile ownership life is $5,000.  I'll preemptively grant some presumed savings in terms of maintenance in that timeframe, but you're probably not quite to zero there and you've added a good bit of hassle in the interim.)

I don't think battery degradation is usually that high right now but can vary depending on manufacturer.  Tesla has claimed from their data that battery degradation is about 15% on average at 150,000 miles.  Improvements continue to be made in battery manufacturing and tech.

Even after factoring in tax credits/incentives (when available) and typically lower annual maintenance costs versus gas engine cars. I still don't think "saving money" should be at the top of someone's list for buying an EV at this time.

Harley Earl

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on February 07, 2021, 09:08:33 AM
I don't think battery degradation is usually that high right now but can vary depending on manufacturer.  Tesla has claimed from their data that battery degradation is about 15% on average at 150,000 miles.  Improvements continue to be made in battery manufacturing and tech.

Even after factoring in tax credits/incentives (when available) and typically lower annual maintenance costs versus gas engine cars. I still don't think "saving money" should be at the top of someone's list for buying an EV at this time.

Agree. 

The two EVs and one PHEV i have owned since 2015 have suffered NO noticeable battery degradation during my ownership periods.  "Saving money" has also been way low on my personal decision tree when choosing EVs & PHEVs as daily drivers.  I simply wanted, "The Cadillac of a Driving Experience"; As in a COOL CAR factor, Instant Torque, Cloud-like Ride (attributable to battery weight and air ride) and Quiet. 

Many may agree that we chose our Cadillac's and Cadillac hobby because of the cutting-edge reputation that Cadillac had many years ago.  A most USA way of viewing GREAT things is the statement of; "The Cadillac of (insert great thing here)".  I think GM is onto the same thing again if they continue to go all in on EVs.  Enjoy the Superbowl commercial for exactly what it is.  I hold out hope that we will experience great things from GMs new direction!

And if GM is successful in this endeavor, our Cadillacs should continue to appreciate positively!
Hoping for a Standard Trans Cimarron

Previous
1950 Series 61 Sedan - Savoy Gray
1974 Coupe de Ville - Victorian Amber Firemist
1959 Coupe de Ville - Brenton Blue
And 20 "other" Cadillacs from the 40s to the 80s

79 Eldorado

I love the video. It seems it has the perfect amount of...what's the best term, oh maybe "cowbell" :)

Scott