News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Value of my 1953 Fleetwood??

Started by Snags, February 08, 2021, 04:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snags

Any ideas on a ballpark figure for what this 1953 Fleetwood might be worth?  All opinions welcome.  If you agree with what someone else posts let me know that too.  Yes, I realize that it’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay.  Just looking for some thoughts.  I don’t plan on selling it, just want to know the value if needed to sell.  And also how much money I can put into it and not go underwater.

12,800 original miles (yes 12K, not 120K), driven one year and then parked in 1954.  Runs like a clock.
factory air condition working
hydraulic windows/seat work

Original paint, driver’s side is good, half of trunk is severely cracked but still shines.  Passenger side has lots of small dots where the lacquer is gone and you can see the primer, and some of that on the hood too.  Think that side was facing the sun most of the time.  Driver's side paint is great.  Chrome bits all there, but some rust and pitting.  The rocker panels beneath the stainless trim have rust on one side of car.  The hydraulic lines for the power windows leaked and in a couple of places rusted small holes in the floor, but have been patched.  Bottom of the doors and trunk floor solid, no rust.

New:
- interior (new Cadillac crest and V seat covers, carpet, head liner, door panels, painted dash and door trim).  Light and dark blue interior.  Have not completed interior yet.
- wide white wall tires
- brakes/brake cylinders/brake lines
- fuel tank/fuel lines
- dual exhaust, with NOS exhaust tips
- Pertronix ignition, coil, voltage regulator
- battery
- hydraulic lines for windows/seat

Rebuilt:
- Hydramatic transmission
- carburetor
- water pump
- fuel/vacuum pump
- starter
- generator
- master cylinder

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed with leaving untouched- not only as exemplar of originality but the crushing cost of a quality refinish and even that wouldn't put it pass the finish line; all the chrome would still have to be done to match the new paint. Easy $20K for exterior rehab alone and probably closer to $30K/+.

No interior pics or description - assuming no surprises there and working A/C a solid plus. Skirts presumed present.

As it sits a #3- driver with great talking points. I pretty much agree with the previous estimate ~ $12K/+.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Agree with the previous posters.  To get a decent paint job
and have the chrome done will cost you at least $30k.  You
would be very much under water if you were forced to sell.

My advice would be to drive and enjoy it as it is.  It's a
decent original example.  You have already done the
necessary steps to make it roadworthy.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Lexi

Above posters are spot on. Drive and enjoy it. Maintain her so when the time comes, the new owner can carry the torch and may even explore having additional work done. Things might also be different at that time. We are just caretakers of these fine cars. Clay/Lexi

jdemerson

I have quite a lot of experience with restoring a Cadillac of the same vintage (1952 Series 62 Sedan 6219X), starting with a car in very nice shape. I, too, think the responses you have gotten are on target. Sadly, you can't do anything more to a car like this, as attractive and desirable as it is, without being underwater. Unless you yourself did all the work you listed as being done, you are already underwater.

Your Fleetwood is more desirable than my Series 62 because:

• It's a Fleetwood!
  • It has air conditioning
  • It has some upgrades (like Pertronix) that make it more reliable

• It has several rebuilt key components

But mine has one advantage: it will (just) fit in my garage.  :)  ;)

I note that the skirts are there in one of your photos.

Clearly it's ready to be enjoyed. Best of luck with it!

John
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn