News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carburetor ID

Started by Entropy, February 09, 2021, 08:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Entropy

I recently bid on a box of parts at an auction because I spotted some flathead parts in the background. When I got the box I also found these two carburetors. Can anyone tell me a little more about what I’ve got? I’m not very familiar with the early Cad Lasalle stuff and I haven’t found a lot of information during my forum and google searches. I can provide more pictures if they would be helpful.

Chris Cummings

I would call that a 1930-31 Cadillac V-16 carburetor, for the left-hand side of the engine.  The goose-neck air horn was a mid-1930 change reportedly added because during rainy weather, the V-16s would run rough, as road spray worked its way to the open carburetor intakes.  It appears that this is a later carburetor for which the air horn would have used two mounting screws under the carb body, and not also the exposed third bolt visible in front of the carb.

What is the number engraved on the side of the top flange (where the carb would attach to the intake manifold)?

Hope that helps,

Chris Cummings

Chris Cummings

Looking more closely at your post, I see that there are two carbs.  More photos would be welcome! 

And the numbers on the top flanges would be very helpful for a positive ID.

Chris

Entropy

Thanks Chris. Here are some more pictures.

Chris Cummings

Thanks.  The carb with the number  "L7-2356" would be a 1930 left-hand side V-16 carburetor.  "R10-4054" is a right-hand side 1931 V-12 carburetor.   They look to be pretty complete.

Chris

Entropy

Thanks again. Other then the forum is there definitive reference online where you get that kind of information. I’d like to learn more about them. I may also have to look for some engines to wrap around them :)

Chris Cummings

A lot of that information is lore that is locked up in the heads of those who have worked with the cars over their lifetimes and who have figured things out through trial, error, and experience.  Much of the GM records were discarded as the cars moved further back into the company's industrial memory.  We are fortunate that the build sheets were saved and that shop manuals, Cadillac Service Man publications, training slide films, and other types of contemporary literature have survived and can be purchased.  The CLC Museum & Research Center has a large amount of these materials.

If you join the CLC, your directory will allow you to find and contact owners of the cars.  The directory also has a lot of information about body styles, engine/VIN numbers, and production data, as well as a list of members who have volunteered to act as club technicians for various years and models of Cadillacs and LaSalles.  In addition, the directory contains general and technical indices to the past issues of the club newsletter The Self-Starter.  You can also purchase member-developed authenticity manuals that illustrate details of construction, production, options, and design. 

The late Roy Schneider's book Sixteen Cylinder Motor Cars (new revision forthcoming) contains a wealth of information about the V-16 cars, (without getting as granular as how the carburetors were numbered), And Jim Schild's book Fleetwood: The Company & the Coachcraft is a masterly account of the work of that company before it became just a nameplate for fancier versions of Cadillac models.

Collection and preservation of the information pertinent to these cars is an ongoing effort undertaken by many hands over many years.  This club is a good starting place for anyone interested in this neighborhood of the automotive history universe.