News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Started by Patrick85396, February 15, 2021, 03:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick85396

New member here.  While I have admired Cadillacs my entire life, I’ve never owned one.  Although my parents own a Sedan de Ville in the 80s, we were a Buick family.  My great-grand father drove a ’65 Special, my parents owned a LeSabre, a ’65 Electra and a ’65 Riviera.   I’m finishing up a restoration on my a ’65 Riviera Gran Sport that I’ve owned for over 20 years and am working to discover which Cadillac project I want to start.  My focus has been narrowed to ’57 â€" ’60 Eldorados.  I don’t know much about the details, but I know what I like when I see it.  I have purchased Roy Schneider’s books on Cadillacs the 40s, 50s and 60s, just finished reading Cadillac Eldorado by J. Howell and have been issued my CLC credential with my membership number. 

While I’m keenly interested in a ’57 mainly because of its sexy rear end, I guess I can say the same about the other years that interest me.  My hope is to share my progress as I work through this process and tap the good knowledge that many of you can share. 

caddydaddy1960

Welcome Patrick,

You certainly are in the right place if you share a love of Cadillacs!  The CLC club and website are an excellent resource for anyone interested in all things Cadillac and LaSalle.  I strongly suggest that you find a CLC regional club to join and enjoy.  You'll find a complete listing here online or in the back of the Self Starter magazine.

Best wishes,

Michael Heinz, Director
West Michigan CLC
1960 6337 Coupe Deville (sold 12/20)
1966 68339 Sedan Deville
1974 C6EL67 Fleetwood Eldorado ELC

Director, West Michigan Region CLC

Patrick85396

Thanks Michael, I'm in the Phoenix area and I see that there is a local presence.  So, I'll reach out to the local club in the near future. 

Clewisiii

Other then the high end Cadillac V16s you have selected the most expensive model and year range. 

Nothing wrong with that just mentioning.   But if you have looked into them you already know. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Patrick85396

Yes, I know, that's the story of my life, but having the coolest model doesn't come cheap, does it? Besides, except for my wife, I have no other vices to distract my wallet. 

I'm looking forward to this.  At 55, I now have the patience and motivation to focus on this.   

76eldo

Welcome to the club.
A 57 Eldorado is a beautiful and rare car.  I hope you find a nice one!
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

CaddyShackPA

Patrick, welcome to the CLC! Greetings from snowy Pennsylvania. Thanks for sharing your story; please do keep us apprised of your search. And by all means, please consider joining the local club - you’ll find excellent camaraderie and a wealth of experience.

Best regards,
Jeff

J. Papciak   #23864     
'59 Coupe DeVille
'69 Eldorado  
'72 Coupe DeVille  
'77 Seville
‘81 Fleetwood Brougham  
‘89 Brougham 
'92 Sedan DeVille  
‘95 Fleetwood  
'02 STS   '10 CTS-V   ‘17 CTS

59-in-pieces

Patrick,

Welcome.
I too have a 57 Eldo Biarritz- Silver exterior, Black interior, and White top.
But (no pun intended), it took me awhile to warm up to the radical departure of its BUTT design.

One BEWARE - the chromed cast aluminum rear bumper ends - disintegrate easily.
And about that wallet, you'll need it if the car has need of repair of those parts.

What is your style of restoration, on a scale of - Driver to OEM.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

artdan

Patrick
Welcome!
Your choice of a 57 Eldorado shows exquisite taste.
  ::)
I acquired mine last year.
Do your homework and have deep pockets.
Find one that is as complete as possible. Parts specific to the Eldorado are hard to come by.
The benefits of owning one far outweigh the woes of acquiring one.
Happy Hunting!
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Continental Mark II
1960 Corvette
1956 Thunderbird (sold)
1965 Buick Riviera (sold)
1975 Datsun 280 Z (sold)

Patrick85396

I've been reading everything that I can get my hands on regarding Eldorados from '57 through '60 and the '64s.  I find myself drawn to the '60 with its sharper lines.  It's going to be tough to make a selection.  I'm also building a home that'll be complete sometime next year and have asked the architect to make the garage longer to accommodate the car.  My '65 Riviera barely fits in our current garage and I know that any Cadillac I choose will need more length.  I'm looking forward to this.