News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 windshield molding removal

Started by manny62rod@yahoo.com, February 16, 2021, 11:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manny62rod@yahoo.com

Has anyone removed the outer stainless molding from the front windshield on a 1940 Series 62 coupe?
I’ve managed to remove the windshield which was somewhat of a task but I would like to get the stainless polished before I put the new glass in. It seems that it doesn’t come out very easy , it’s one piece with division bar attached and I don’t really want to damage it, thank you

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Both the division bar and the molding are set in a tar like substance.  A heat gun will soften it up.  It does come off but don't force it.  The hardest can be the division bar.  It is most easily damaged.  It is a go by feel job.  The division snaps over the steel core so you have to get under one edge and start working it off.  One side or the other has less of an edge catching.  If doing any damage stop.  The molding on the pinch weld is easier since the back side does not show.  With the tar softened up it will usually come off easily.  Again if it isn't moving stop and try something different. 
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

manny62rod@yahoo.com

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I'm going to suggest you don't remove them. They were flash chromed when new ,not polished. Detail them with chrome polish & fine steel wool. Good luck whatever you do.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Tom Boehm

Bob and Brad, can you answer  the next question the OP will have: How do you reinstall them?  My question  too. Mine were removed a long time ago when I had some rust repaired around the windshield. Eventually when the car is painted I will have to put them back on. Thanks, Tom

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Bob,

Not flashed chrome in 40 that I have ever seen.  That comes later.  Not sure when but in 49 they were all flashed chrome.

Tom,

Easy to put back on.  Need to put 3M bedding compound to seal them so water doesn't creep around the gaps.  Make sure the pinch weld is all in good shape if welding or body work had to be done.  Minimize paint build up.  Some times a little tap with a wood block on the edge is required.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

OK Brad,
How did they treat the raw SS that was just formed??
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Bob,

Not sure what you mean but 18-8 stainless can be polished and it last just fine.  It has a more nickel look instead of the brightness of the chrome.  I had the stainless on the 49 redone with flash chrome and it comes out beautiful but it does look a little different than plain polished stainless.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo