News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

looking for 40 automatic steering column

Started by manny62rod@yahoo.com, February 21, 2021, 11:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manny62rod@yahoo.com

So i decided to go with a 331 instead of the original flathead on my 40 series 62 coupe. I was wondering if anyone has ever swapped out a manual tranny for an automatic, I have the auto tranny that came with the 1950 331, what i’m thinking I need is the automatic shift column and maybe some linkage pieces, would appreciate and info on this swap and or maybe a contact on the parts required to make this swap happen. thank you

35-709

:)  There was no automatic for Cadillac in 1940, that came in 1941 --- Oldsmobile had one in '40 though. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

harvey b

You should have a parts car that matches the motor and tranny,you should be able to adapt the shift tower to your column, or be able to attach your 3 speed lever to the tranny somehow, harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Jay Friedman

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

las39

my 39 has 48 engine with Hydra-Matic connected to original column.
No indicator but no problem. Move the lever two notches and it drives.  ;D
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Chris Bryant #19358

This should fill the bill.
https://www.lokar.com/assets/instructions/INS0058-ColShiftLink-GM.pdf
It is a high quality product and you can have a neutral safety swithc as well.

Chris Bryant 19358

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: las39 on February 25, 2021, 10:30:25 AM
my 39 has 48 engine with Hydra-Matic connected to original column.
No indicator but no problem. Move the lever two notches and it drives.  ;D
G'day Mo,

Down here, if a vehicle does not have the indication of the gears, it will not pass for registration, and I think that it would be the same all over the world.   (Got to protect not only the thieves, but anyone around that could get hurt by an unknowing driver.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

In Florida there is no requirement for a gear position indicator to be installed in order for a car to be registered here.  Actually, there is no inspection whatsoever and no question on a form or a person asking if an indicator is present.  Many states have no inspections and even those that do I am not aware of any requirement for a shift indicator.  What would be done for a manual shift car?

Having said that, the NSRA (National Street Rod Assoc.) offers free, non-binding courtesy safety inspections that are pretty thorough at their car shows.  If you do not have a current NSRA safety inspection, you are welcome to be in the show but will not be eligible for any awards.  A gear shift indicator (for automatic transmissions) is one of the pass/fail NSRA inspection requirements.   :)   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Abe Lugo

If you use a 41 automatic column. You can modify the gear selector to adjust for the dents. Then you can also modify the gear selector indicator as need to show the gear it is in. You would still need to add a neutral safety switch into the system.  Either modify or use the original one intended for
Your transmission or adapt something from a auto electric shop.  Ron Francis had something like this for a TH350 swap.

The other way about this it to located a full same generation column sleeve with all of it.  And modify to fit.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

las39

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 25, 2021, 06:06:07 PM
G'day Mo,

Down here, if a vehicle does not have the indication of the gears, it will not pass for registration, and I think that it would be the same all over the world.   (Got to protect not only the thieves, but anyone around that could get hurt by an unknowing driver.

Bruce. >:D

Hi Bruce
You are correct, even in up here in Denmark.  I missed the part he needs to get it registered.
Being the 39 is a vintage registered car, inspection is every 8 years.
Even so, no inspector will dare to test drive it. ;D
I did have to rig an pull type motorcycle stoplight switch as neutral switch. 8)

BTW vintage registered vehicles here are permitted to use historic correct type enamel plates.   Se link if any interest.
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert