News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

cadillac 365 cylinder head bolts

Started by wkristick, February 23, 2021, 12:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkristick

I am having a 1956 365 Cadillac engine rebuilt.  The engine did not come with all of the cylinder head bolts.  It's a non-A/C car.  I know that the bolts are different lengths.  How many of each length do I need.  Anyone have a complete set for sale or know where I get them?   Thanks, Walt

fishnjim

Might try Rebuilder's Choice.   
My rebuilder got a whole set for mine.   Some of the old bolt lengths are hard to come by so may have to substitute a stud, etc.   I know a few of the new manifold bolts were 12 point heads, so I was able to swop them out for my originals.

wkristick

Thanks for the suggestion.  I called rebuilders choice - no luck.  Do you know the different lengths and number required of each? 

Lexi

This page from the MPL may answer your question about length, depending on what you are missing. As for exact totals, not sure. You may have to source longer bolts then have them cut down to fit. There was a seller on Ebay dealing in 365 exhaust manifold bolt reproductions, though some had to be shortened by the buyer. His seller name is Chipscaddys. You may want to look him up on Ebay and see or ask if he can supply those cylinder head bolts to you. Seems to me he stopped carrying a lot of this stuff but no harm in contacting him. Clay/Lexi

wkristick

Perfect!  Just what I wanted.  Thank you very much.  Next question is how many each of 5 15/16, 4 1/16, 2 3/4 lengths do I need for each head?  (My cylinder heads are at the machine shop.)

David King (kz78hy)

I don't think Chip's next run of bolts is complete yet.  I also sell them, but I've not gotten word they are available yet.  In the next batch, the threads were to be extended further up the shaft so when cutting down, you would not have to cut additional threads for the shorter bolts.

David

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

carguyblack

Terrill Machine probably has what you need, I would think. Might want to call them. (254) 893-2610
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Lexi

I thought someone here also carried them. So that is you David? Do you have any of the exhaust manifold bolts that Chip used to sell for the 365? You know, the one's with the built in flange like "washer" head? Good to hear that the thread cutting on the new batch is to be extended up the length of the bolt. I think I had to shorten two, and cut additional threads for my 365 project. Good product though and Chip did warn this may be the case for some.

To answer wkristick's question about specific lengths & totals, I am not sure as I would have to tear mine apart and measure each one. The above picture is from a 1959 MPL. I will dig out my 1956 MPL this evening and see if if provides more specific information. I think I even have a set, or most of one here, but no idea where and storage area snowed in. Would be something I would not be able to get at for some time. No use to your machine shop right now. Clay/Lexi

wkristick

I need a set exhaust manifold bolts for a 365 as well. 

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: lexi on February 23, 2021, 07:50:57 PM
I thought someone here also carried them. So that is you David? Do you have any of the exhaust manifold bolts that Chip used to sell for the 365? You know, the one's with the built in flange like "washer" head?

Hi lexi,

Yes, I sell the bolts, but have not had any for awhile.  Chip lost his source for those when the China trade thing blew up 3-4 years ago.  He has found another supplier it seems as he reached out in Nov. of last year.  I supplied the part print for those bolts.  Once they are available, I will let you know.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Lexi

Sounds good David. Keep us posted. Clay/Lexi

cadman56

Hello wkristick,

I may have some head bolts of all sizes.  It has been many years since I was rebuilding the 365 engines but I will look if you are interested.
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

wkristick

Yes Larry, I am interested.  Need 11 of the 7/16" - 14 x 4 1/16", and 8 of the 7/16" - 14 x 2/34".  Call me 336-601-1357 if you find them.  Thanks, Walt

wkristick

I found a full set of cylinder head bolts from someone in the UK.  Thank you everyone for your help.

Lexi

David King (kz78hy)

Just a follow up.  I have the special 365 and later exhaust bolts now if anyone needs them.  $43 for 12 bolts.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197