News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 Coupe door lock problems

Started by Kanne, February 26, 2021, 11:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanne

Hi
I am having more troubles with the doors on my 1955 Coupe.
This time it is the locking mechanism.
It is only a problem on the door on the drivers side.
The door open and closes fine, and I can lock it with the key.
The problem is, that I cannot unlock it again.
When turning the key it seems like something is worn inside the locking mechanism, and it will not "grip" and unlock the door.
When using the push/pull botton from inside the car, it works fine.

How do I fix that problem?

Best regards

Per Kanne
Denmark

walt chomosh #23510

Kanne,
  What do you mean by "more troubles"? I just had my door lock assembly out of my door multiple times in an effort to resolve issues.(they were finally solved!) Have you already been "playing"?....walt...tulsa,ok

fishnjim

You need to find someone who repairs auto door locks(aka locksmth).   There's a guy in the USA, "Jessers" for this (search) but since your out of country, best to find someone local.   
The tumbler cylinder probably is faulty.   Sometimes a spray of lock penetrating oil will help.   The springs rust or get sprung and the tumblers wear/stick, so it won't function/unlock.   
The two lock parts, exterior and interior are separate.   There's rods that open/close the latch.  So the issue is in the lock cylinder most likely.   You can remove the door panel and see what's going on usually.   Rod bent or other issues but won't address the lock.

Re: your other door issue.   The hinge cover plate and spring has a detent to hold the door open so it doesn't slam while exitting.  If you remove it, then nothing to hold the door open.   You might find a replacement hinge assembly, or figure out why it's not disengaging.   Try lube(white grease) and try to open the door more before you close it to clear the detent.   If it's rusty or damaged, needs to replace.   If the hinge is worn, you'd have other issues with it closing properly.

Kanne

Quote from: walt chomosh #23510 on February 26, 2021, 01:51:22 PM
Kanne,
  What do you mean by "more troubles"? I just had my door lock assembly out of my door multiple times in an effort to resolve issues.(they were finally solved!) Have you already been "playing"?....walt...tulsa,ok
Hi Walt.
By "more trouble" I was refering to my other post, regarding the problem, that the door stays in the open position and will not close again. Maybe due to worn hinges or spring loaded cover.