News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1938 60 Special Engine Number 6C 1534

Started by Ohjai, February 27, 2021, 06:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohjai

My 38 60 Special is titled with the number stamped on the frame 6271309, but the engine number is 6C 1534.
Can anyone identify this number for me? 

Thanks
Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

Tom Beaver

Where did you find that number?  The serial number for those years engines is located behind the left (drivers side) bank of cylinders in the space just in front of the bell housing.  The numbers run parallel with the seam between the engine and bell housing and are stamped into the block, not cast, and should match the number on the frame.  They are very hard to see, especially if there is any paint, dirt, oil or rust on the block.  The area generally needs to be very thoroughly cleaned with a fine wire brush and then use a flashlight at a raking angle to highlight the numbers.  I don't know how the tank engine numbers were designated but I believe they were stamped on the block just over the water pump.

Tom Beaver

Bob Schuman

Jim,
The number you found is the Engine Unit Number, which is not the same as Engine Number, mainly used when ordering engine parts from Cadillac years ago. The Engine Number will be found as Tom described, and if original, will match the chassis number on your title and also stamped into the frame. That number is in the same location as on your 41-60S.
Bob
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5