News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Rear Door and Fender Trim Fasteners

Started by Kurt Kjelgaard, March 01, 2021, 10:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt Kjelgaard

Hi all,

I am looking for trim fasteners for the stainless rear fender and door trim on my series 75.
I have contacted Restoration Specialties, but they do not have the one in picture 3.
Still waiting for reply on the other two, things are moving very slowly.

First picture is for what Cadillac calls "Rear Fender Blister Scalp Molding", thread is #10-24
Second is for the "Rear Fender Blister Bead Molding" and the last one is used
to fasten the rear end of the "Rear Door Blister Scalp Molding" with a small pan
head screw (I believe thread is also #10-24) through the edge of the door.

Any ideas?

Alex-57 asked on August 10, 2019 about these fasteners and did not get much response.

Alex, if you read this, you will at least have some pictures to look at.
These fasteners came of my quite original Limo.

Kurt
Kurt Kjelgaard
1957 7533X Imperial Sedan
CLC #23671

Cadman-iac

Hi Kurt,

I know that the ones in the center picture are used in several other GM vehicles. I got some for mine from a Chevrolet supplier,  Danchuk Manufacturing, for the 55,56, and 57 Chevys. There's a few different sizes, but they all work the same way.
The one in your first picture can be substituted with another design of the same size possibly.
As for the last one, that looks like it was just a solid rectangular block with a screw hole in the center. Is that what you've got there?
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Cadman-iac

Hi Daryl,
Is that a link, or just a reference to the catalog? If it's supposed to be a link,  it isn't working for me.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Daryl Chesterman

Kurt, my apologies for the bad linkâ€"I have removed that post as all of it was erroneous due to the bad link.  This link is good, but I didn't try to look for any of your pictured fasteners.

https://onlinecatalog.auveco.com/Auveco-Catalog/10/

This is a very extensive catalog of various fasteners, and there is a page in the first part of the catalog that explains the use of it and how the fasteners are grouped.

Sorry for the wild goose chase :P

Daryl Chesterman

Kurt Kjelgaard

Thanks, guys - I will take a look at the auveco catalog.

Tomorrow I will take some pictures of the moldings to show where and how
the three clips/fasteners are actually used.

Hopefully that will clarify things a bit. I am confident that I am not the first one
here on cadillaclasseclub forum - maybe someone has been there before.
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

fishnjim

Just so you have a complete repertoire, www.clipsandfasteners.com is another source, but Auveco is the big supplier.
I posted their catalogue on here before in another post.   Unfortunately, CLC doesn't operate a repository for common info.
Some of these may no longer be made and you'll have to improvise with modern trim clips.   Most auto parts store sell universal trim clips but you may only see metric over there.
I also get J-clips, etc and other body fasteners/nuts sometimes from Fastenal.   I don't know if they operate in your area.  www.fastenal.com
For most of this stuff, it's better to use new, even if not exact(doesn't show) than try to salvage used.   They all suffer the same design and corrosion issues.

Kurt Kjelgaard

Thanks for the link to Fastenal - I have shopped with them before for
fasteners for my wife's 1958 Morris Minor Tourer.

Below are a couple of pictures of the moldings with respective fasteners next to them.

First picture shows part of the looong (13 clips) rear fender blister bead molding and wire clips.
This molding is 5/8" wide, exterior measurement, and takes the 1/2" wire clips.
The holes in the fender for the wire clips are 11/32" dia.

Next picture shows the Rear Door Blister Scalp Molding - this one is fastened with the two other
types of fasteners I am looking for as the final two pictures show.

I understand that generic fasteners can be used as is or modified to substitute some of them,
but wire clips must be used at some positions where the holes are "blind" .

By the way, I am still waiting for a response from Restoration Specialties.
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

Roger Zimmermann

I'm pretty sure that theclip from your first picture is available. I had similar ones on my '56 de Ville.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101