News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Removing ring gear from 70 to 76 rear end

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, March 03, 2021, 06:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I want to get the LSD or posie pak out of a rear end. What's involved? Do you have to remove the pinion assy.?
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

In a word, no.   You only have to remove the Crown Wheel Carrier, as the Posi stuff is inside.

Were these Crown Wheels still rivetted to the carrier?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadman-iac

Actually,  if it's the same design axle assembly as the non posi units, then no, you don't have to remove the pinion gear. It comes out of the front of the housing anyway. The carrier and ring gear are removed from the rear the same as any rear loaded axle would.
Just to be sure,  your axle does have a removable cover on the back, correct?
Bruce,  I think your thinking about the older front loaded axles, where the pinion and carrier are all mounted to the removable housing.
My 56 has the ring gear,  or as you called it, the crown wheel, riveted to the carrier. And there's no removable cover, the housing looks like a banjo.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Rick,

No, doesn't matter which way the centre is fitted, either a Front-loader, Banjo or Salisbury type.   The Pinion can stay either in the housing, or the Pumpkin.

Just have to undo the side bearing caps, and out she pops.   Then remove the Crown Wheel to allow the centre halves to part.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadman-iac

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 03, 2021, 10:27:50 PM
G'day Rick,

No, doesn't matter which way the centre is fitted, either a Front-loader, Banjo or Salisbury type.   The Pinion can stay either in the housing, or the Pumpkin.

Just have to undo the side bearing caps, and out she pops.   Then remove the Crown Wheel to allow the centre halves to part.

That's what I meant. I only mentioned the pinion comes out of the front because on most other rear loaded axles, it comes out the rear, unless you have a 9" Ford. Or a truck axle.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"